oil leak when adjusting timing?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

oil leak when adjusting timing??

bad news.. after putting my cam in last nite i took it for a run today down to work and back.. about hour of driving.. came back and decided to adjust my timing as it seemed it was off a bit.. so i jump under the hood and get out my timing light... vacum gauge and a screw driver for my air screws.... so i did everything i needed to do.. turned the distributer a bit.. turn the screws half a turn each out.. and took a look thro the timing light.. everything sounds good.. so i hope out to shut the motor off.. and while lookin for anything else leaking or missing.. i noticed a puddle of oil under my truck!! scared the ***** outa me.. thought maybe its bin doin that all morning.. i'd hate to run outa oil! but i bin wathcing my oil pressure, temperature and amp gauge all morning.. everything was fine.. then took a look under the motor... oil everywhere.. so i get back under the hood.. theres oil on the top of the bell housing.. so i feel around my vavle covers and intake seal between the block and manifold.. no signs of oil... i checked my oil level right away before i decided to start it back up.. it was above full!! also im gona change the oil now after break in.. but started it up... watched under the motor again for dripping.. nothin.. so i brang it up the drive way.. let it idle... still nothing.. now this is really bugging me.. wut in the world could it be?? i thought maybe some came outa the distributer seal.. but no that was a long shot.. dry all the way around that seal! so any idea's wut could be causing this leak?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Is it leaking from where you oil sending unit is threaded into the block? That is located right next to the distributor. Did you remeber to put on the distributor to intake gasket?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Don't over fill the oil pan?

I heard somewhere you will cause a leak by overfilling the oil pan, maybe out the rear seal? Don't remember exactly but I'm sure you arn't supposed to do that. Drain the oil, do the oil change and while your under there wipe everything of, now run the engine and watch for a leak, see if it goes away.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:20 PM

well the first thing i did was the oil change.. and i don't think its coming from the main seal.. cuz its on top of the bell housing..?? it just might be my oil pressure sending unit.. gona check that out tonight.. and yes i did put the intake gaskets in.. all the way around the intake.. and also some gasket maker on the ends where it seals intake to the block.. but would it actually leak oil from there?? if the gasket moved a bit on installation?? i didn't think the oil got high enough to hit the bottom of the manifold.. cuz its dripping pretty bad...
Old 10-13-2003, 05:32 PM

well got down and dirty and tried to pin point the area its leaking from.. either way it looks like its hitting the flywheel cuz theres oil on both my dual pipes, front drive shaft... and even my trany.. but i run my finger on the inside of the bell housing.. no oil in there.. so must be dripping down onto it some where.. im actaully starting to think its coming from the trany... maybe leaking thro the bell housing all the way around?? leaveing a puddle on top of the block like that...?? wuts a good way of finding the difference of 80 weight trany fliud and motor oil?? i no that the trany fliud has a strong smell to it.. also thinkin its the trany because i fired it up for 5 minutes.. reved it a bit.. watched for leaks.. but nothin.. maybe it comes out when i put it in gear?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If the tranny was leaking out the input shaft seal, the clutch should be soaked and slipping and the inside of the bell housing should be oily. You may need to get some ultraviolet dye and a light to find the exact spot where its leaking.

My first thing I'd ck would be the rear intake manifold seal. Might not be leaking until you nail it and accelerate.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:13 PM

So u really think the back of the intake could leak enough for it to drip a puddle..?? say about 4" x 3" puddle...? i sure hope so.. cuz to me thats a easy fix.. little bit of sealent.. as for the input shaft.. the clutch dont slip at all.. and there aint no oil coming out of the bell housing.. hmm.. this is frustrating.. i guess i could try the dye idea... i was also maybe thinkin of putting a stripe of tape.. say duck tape or eletrical tape on the seal there and if it gets covered in oil and falls off or is fill with oil when i take it off then we found the problem.. im gona try a couple things tomorrow.. thanx for your help
Old 10-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Try baby powder or baking soda. Dump some all around the back of the bellhousing and intake.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 PM

Trav,

I like the baby powder idea. What you do is shake it on the engine like you are putting salt on your fries and then run the engine up to speed. Where ever the leak is will wash the powder off of the engine and leave a "clean trail" right back to the leak/s.

My guess is valve covers. They seep under heavy loads like reving between gear changes and highway speeds too. The oil will run down between the intake and the cylinder head so you can not see it(maybe the baby power will show it) then it puddles on the bellhousing, then if the housing is not all the way tight the oil then runs inside the housing and gets slung around but not into the clutch. This all takes awhile for the oil to travel down and then drip so if you want to find this leak raise the truck up onto jackstands and hold the RPMs up around 2000 for a few minutes, and when you roll under to look for the leak you will see where it is coming from for sure.

Good Luck
Scholman
Old 10-13-2003, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

Trans. oil smells to high heaven, much stronger odor than motor oil.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:30 PM

ya im possitive its motor oil.. gona try the baby powder idea.. thanx..
Old 10-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds to me that the rear intake manifold seal fell out while you were putting the intake back on.
I don't use the rubber end seals, but put a bead of silicone there instead.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:12 PM

oil leak

Could be blowing buy the silicone seal on the rear of the motor. I just had the smae problem and I had to crawl up in the engine compartment to see the oil spiting from the seal. Had t put new silicone bead and wait the 10 min cure time to get it to hold. I had oil on everything under the truck. good luck
Old 11-15-2003, 09:05 AM

Check your head gasket

Maybe you installed everything correctly, because I've had this problem before after changing out my camshaft. Then came the oil leak problem.
I removed the intake 3x, I put a silicone bead, and still leaked, then used the rubber intake end seals, and the darn thing still leaked! On my third try, I found the problem.
Some how my head gasket shifted and moved out of position.
Motor oil was leaking from the rear of the engine and looked to be leaking from the rear of the valve cover (really hard to see back there). Oil was all over the bell housing, stearing colum & under my truck. The head gasket was leaking from the upper rear of the gasket that points to the distributor, oil was leaking from the lifter area, between the head and the engine block.

hope this helps.Let me know if this helped

Last edited by 1970 c10; 11-15-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:55 AM

after playing around with it for a while i ended up sealing the oil pressure sending unit closed.. it did stop a little bit.. its still leaking slightly.. it might just be the head gasket.. i'll find out soon enough.. i plan on doing a head swap.. i hope it fix's the problem.. thanx for the reply

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.