Oil leaking near fuel pump..what the heck??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 02:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil leaking near fuel pump..what the heck???

I started getting pools of oil on the top of my Performer fuel pump. Now I have oil spraying on the cross member, the steering linkage, and eventually dripping all over my garage floor. I can't see oil leaking anywhere, it only does it at highway speed so I am surmizing that it is coming out of the hole where the pump arm shaft is. I have replaced the pump gasket and the plate gasket, I also put sealer on the pump bolts, but still no good. I checked for valve cover leaks, timing cover leaks, oil pan leaks, everything looks good. Has anyone seen this before? The pump only has about 1200 miles on it!!! I am losing a pint in 10 miles so it's coming from somewhere! Is there even that amount of oil in the block where the pump mounts, it's always almost empty when I remove the pump. When the oil first starts it collects on the top flange of the pump facing the rear, right where the pump arm shaft is pressed in. Take a look at the picture, sorry it's a little hard to see, the oil is just starting to pool on the rear of thre flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1682  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Is this a small block chevy? I`m assuming it is, if so, look on the front of the engine beside the harmonic balancer on the passengers side, you`ll see 2 bolt holes, 1 over the top of the other, the top one must have a bolt in it, other wise oil comes out mostly at highway speeds. if there is no bolt in the hole, use a bolt that is on the short side, since if it`s too long it`ll hit the fuel pump push rod. it`s also a good idea to coat the bolt with some sealant.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Could be comming out from the pump arm pivot shaft. Thats why I like the stock GM pump, the pivot shaft is fully inside the pump housing so those leaks are long gone.

How about the bolt that goes into the front of the block? The one that goes through to the pump pushrod?

I've also seen the oil come out of the pump vent hole too.

Mark
Old 05-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

There is a bolt in the hole in the front of the block and everything up there is clean and oil free. If I had to guess, I would say that it is coming out of a small hole in the back of the pump. If that is the case, what do you do about it? The pump has been good for 1200 miles and all of a sudden it leaks? Is there oil up that far in the block where the drive rod comes down? When I first see the oil it is collecting in the upper rear ridge of the pump which is right under the hole. Can that little hole be spraying oil that bad that it is soaking the cross member and the steering linkage? Looks like a job for JB Weld...LOL

Last edited by HotRodF100; 05-08-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:14 PM

OIL LEAK

SOUNDS LIKE TO ME EITHER THE FUEL PUMP DIAPHRAM TORE,or oherwise let go.The hole you are refering to (if i'm reading this correctly)is called a "weep hole".Just like the one on your water pump.It's there to signify an internal pump malfunction .I woulld check to make sure you don't have gasoline mixed in that oil you are leaking,check your dip stick,smell it, don't taste it,(sounds like stupid advice i know, but i have seen at least 2 "technicians" actually do just that,under the guise of being"thorough professionals")the diaphram in question is the only barrier between your oil & fuel at this point. Needless to say,if you smell fuel in the oil change your oil,and replace the fuel pump
Another poss. cause is crank case pressure. If you have too much c/c pressure oil will blow out where ever it can.do not "JBweld"it,that is not the fix.you need to find out if there's too much c/c pres. and why.check the pvc SYSTEM, including the valve and breather(s).IMO the symptoms you describe sounds more like the pcv sys.but I don't know what kind of set up your running as engines go,ie does whatever combo you got require certain windage trays,or something?
pave..
Old 05-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I had the same thing happen with my Edelbrock pump for my SBC. I was going about 100 on the freeway and I let of the gas. My engine compartment filled up with smoke. The smoke went right past the firewall and I was getting literally smoked out. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a leak. I had the bolt in the front of the block.

Since then it hasn't been that dramatic. But I do occasionally see oil on the top of the pump.

Last edited by lluciano77; 05-09-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

The same thing is happening to my sbc in my camaro. Its fine when idling but as soon as i floor it oil starts spraying out. Im thinking its my fuel pump. I have a bolt in both the holes on the front of the block. still same problem so im going to change the fuel pump and see what happens.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Hey Checy_Guy, let me know how you make out. Sounds like you have the same problem.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:59 PM

pavement3 gave you guys the correct answer to the problem, the fuel pump has two little weep holes on the top of the housing near the back bolt. When you are idleing just a small amount will leak out and collect on the lip of the pump, but when you get on it enough pressure builds in side of there that it sprays it out all over your exhaust and makes a nice smoke screen, I know because I just had this problem with my edelbrock pump. If you take the pump off and take it apart on the underside of the top you will see a diaphragm that has a large spring between it and the housing, push up on the center of the diaphragm as far as you can then pull it back alittle to unhook it from the pump arm. When you get the diaphragm and the spring out you will see a rubber gasket that the rod on the diaphragm pass up through to hook to the pump arm, this is where the oil is getting down into the pump and being forced back out of the weep holes when you get on it. The one on my pump was torn in half, and the pump was not that old. You can get rebuild kits for these pumps from summit or edelbrock, I belive they are about 50 dollars.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Muncie, your description sounds right on the money. I was told that you can't get a rebuild kit for a #1721 (SBC pump)..just my luck! What if I went with a stocker...what is the PSI of a stock pump? I have a Performer carb that can't take more than 5-6 PSI. This Performer pump will look nice and shiney in my trash can..another $80 down the tubes for 1200 miles of enjoyment!
Old 05-10-2004, 04:01 PM

HotRodF100, you are correct, it says they only sell kits for the race pumps and not the street pumps. This makes alot of sense to me as this looks like a common problem for this pump. I replaced mine with a chevy pump that is identical to the edelbrock, I had previously ran it for three years before it broke the little spring on the pump arm, so I put the spring from the edelbrock in it and it's still working great. As for you question on the psi of a stock pump I have no Idea, I run a regulator on mine.
I would call edelbrock, because I thought those pumps had a warranty on them.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Update: spoke to Edelbrock and they are bending over backwards to help! We found out that eventhough I only have 1200 miles on it, I have had it for 1.5 years. They have offered to send me a new oil seal FOC!! In the process of making that happen right now, I love it when a company stands behind their product!

BTW: Edelbrock part #1799 is a rebuild kit for the Performer. It doesn't reall say that on any of the websites that I saw. Their Tech Support says that I will have a leftover spring, but everything is the same!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Edelbrock sent me a new oil seal and seal retainer. Once disassembled, I found the seal and retainer dislodged and slid down the pump shaft. The original seal is probably still good, but I installed the new one and pressed it in tight. I'm redy to reinstall it and give it a try.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodF100
Edelbrock sent me a new oil seal and seal retainer. Once disassembled, I found the seal and retainer dislodged and slid down the pump shaft. The original seal is probably still good, but I installed the new one and pressed it in tight. I'm redy to reinstall it and give it a try.
Hi . Just wondered if you ever fixed that pump problem as i have the same problem as you did years ago and discovered after many hours that the two vent holes in my Edelbrock 1715 are spraying oil out even after i pulled the pump down and sealed the perfectly good seal in with loctite gasket maker. I have only travelled 500 miles in the Mustang on the 347.The pump just sprays a little now instead of a lot. It has to be a a problem with the Edelbrock seal design with those two piece seals that only need pushing into place with your fingers.
Got me baffled as to how to fix this oil leak. I am going to try a larger breather to try and vary positive crankcase pressure incase oil is being forced past the oil seal inside the pump.
Cheers from Downunda
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo175.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	61575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo174.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	61576  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.