Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Oil-less compressor racket...any fixes?? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/oil-less-compressor-racket-any-fixes-131866.html)

F&J 01-18-2008 06:05 AM

Oil-less compressor racket...any fixes??

Moving tons of stuff to the new place and my old piston compressor got tipped over and bent the crank...so we dusted off the old (but barely used) Sears 33 gal oil-less.

This thing is unbearable. No resale value, so I wonder if anyone has got some ideas to make it quiet(er)

When I shut it off, you can hear the big tank "chime" as the motor stops. So I think the tank is resonating like a huge bell.

This tank sits on real tires with valve stems, and I tried putting a soft foam under the front metal stand...no difference.

Has anyone tried mounting the pump/motor unit, remotely off of the tank? Is it worth a try?

302 Z28 01-18-2008 06:10 AM

I absolutely HATE oil less direct drive compressors. They are inherently noisy and the only way to make them bearable in a shop or garage environment is to move them outside or enclose them in a sound deadening box.

Vince

F&J 01-18-2008 06:32 AM

Vince, Had I been able to test run it before I bought it new at Sears....I NEVER would have bought it :mad:

My "new" shop was a furniture store that is 25x90 long, but I'll bet even if I put it in the back corner, it will still be bad.

I was cabinet blasting last night, and this thing makes you want to quit the hobby :D

I have so much to do around here and don't want to waste time remounting it if that won't help. I was just wondering if there was anyone who has tried some tricks.

Chevrolet4x4s 01-18-2008 08:10 AM

Try wrapping the tank in some insulation,It might help some.Is rhere anyway you van straighten the crank in the other one out?

Shane

crash70rs 01-18-2008 10:15 AM

Those things are obnoxious, lucky I was able to put mine in the breeze way between the house and garage.. makes it barable at-least. The think would vibrate across the floor until I stuck a piece of rubber under the front mount.

I was considering making an adapter plate with some vibration dampaning mount from McMaster-Carr, havn't gotten around to it yet though..

jcclark 01-18-2008 11:25 AM

Frame out a closet and insulate it, put the compressor in there.
Just make sure to pipe some inlet air to it.
(that's what woodworkers do for their shop-vacs)
I know, it may get hotter, but if you're lucky, it'll wear out
and you'll have to get a good one later. :thumbup:

302 Z28 01-18-2008 12:11 PM

My next door neighbor has one and when he uses it I have to turn up my radio. :D

Vince

F&J 01-18-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

I know, it may get hotter, but if you're lucky, it'll wear out
You read my mind :D

I spent all day putting in a used breaker subpanel & new 10 gauge wiring down to the back end of the shop. Then I used the former 1/2" galvanized overhead LP gas pipe that ran the length of the shop, as the main air line to get air up front. Now the compressor is WAY back there...and behind 2 cars.....AND IT'S STILL NOISEY :rolleyes:

Yes, an insulated box is next.

F&J 01-18-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Try wrapping the tank in some insulation,It might help some.Is rhere anyway you van straighten the crank in the other one out?
I have a spare pump (that won't hold a headgasket) for it, but I'm not sure if the crank is the same :rolleyes:

Yes, I tried to straighten the crank, no luck so far. I need a bigger hammer :D

Chevrolet4x4s 01-18-2008 06:27 PM

can we get a pic of the bent crank so we can toss some ideas for straightening it in. A heat wrench http://www.eternal-allegiance.com/im...amethrower.gifmay be your friend here.

Shane

F&J 01-18-2008 06:56 PM

It won't show in a pic...It was about 1" runout before I tried fixing it. Now it has maybe 3/8" runout. I put a 4 foot pry bar between the cylinders & pulley and then belted the opposite side of the pulley with a decent sized hammer. It is a Sears twin conventional...around 4hp.

Plus I lost our camera during our many trips while moving to the new house :rolleyes: One whole cardboard box is missing and people who were helping me may have tossed it in the dumpster while cleaning :confused: ...or it blew out of the truck.

bentwings 01-23-2008 11:37 AM

I've got a Craftsman 2 hp oiless. It's junk. It is so noisy that I don't even know how they can sell them.

We got a HF 2 hp tank style with a piston compressor. Heck it' almost as bad. We stuck it under the house in the crawl space which is heavily insulated and it still can drive you crazy. I moved it over to the streetrod garage and it is is so bad that I only use it when I really need it and just wear ear muffs. I tried enclosing it in an insulated box, but it just made a different but still loud and obnoxious noise.

I think noise is inherent with air compressors. Even a screw compressor is noisy.

F&J 01-23-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

I've got a Craftsman 2 hp oiless. It's junk. It is so noisy that I don't even know how they can sell them.
Well mine is SIX hp....imagine how noisey that is :D

bentwings 01-23-2008 04:17 PM

Jezz I can't imagin that.!!

Now if it sounded like this I could live with it. haha

http://www.americanaeroservices.com/...y04%20(11).mpg

speedydude 01-23-2008 05:12 PM

Bentwings, just a side note. Nothing like standing next to a radial engine when it starts up. Especially a double row. IIRC the f4u1d had a 4-row radial. Sorry to digress but that video made my day. :D yea, another plane-head.

I've got the same junky oiless compressor. So noisy I wear ear plugs when near it. A real PITA. I'm also hoping it will quit so as to justify a nice quiet one. I'll definitely fire it up first. For now, I just locate it as far away as possible. :pain: :smash: