Hot Rod Forum banner

oil level ?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2old2fast 
#1 ·
I've noticed that when checking my oil when the engine is still hot,[within 15 minutes of shutting it off] that the level is higher than if I wait overnight. I would have thought the opposite to be true,[more drain back], but I've checked this repeatedly w/ the same result. Does oil expand? , like 1/4 of a quart? thanks dave

#3 ·
2old2fast said:
I've noticed that when checking my oil when the engine is still hot,[within 15 minutes of shutting it off] that the level is higher than if I wait overnight. I would have thought the opposite to be true,[more drain back], but I've checked this repeatedly w/ the same result. Does oil expand? , like 1/4 of a quart? thanks dave
Yes , Dave , oil does expand , like any petroleum product . That's why it is best to buy gas in the morning when the tanks are the coolest . You're getting the most for your money . Years ago I filled up a 20 gallon barrel of gas in Wyoming and by the time I got to New Mexico the barrel overflowed a bunch of gas into my truck bed . I learned to only put in 18 gals if I didn't want a mess .

#6 ·
2old2fast said:
To confirm . Check the oil on your other cars to compare , Or your neghbors cars . I think you'll find this is consistent . I worked heavy equipment for over 20 years ,which obviously uses much more oil, and all the components (engine , trans , hydraulic) have hot and cold markings (as much as 3" difference) for this reason . Example : a CAT dozer hydraulic tank filled to the hot mark when cold will blow hyd oil all over the deck when it warms up. This happens quite often when we hired a new lube man at the mine .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.