oil loss thru lifters at idle?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 09:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

oil loss thru lifters at idle??

hi
We are trying to find the cause of no oil pressure at idle when hot on a SBC 350, When cold pressure is good. Bearing clearance checked with plasti gauge and at machine shop and all is good. Installed new HV pump, different filters and oil, checked oil pressure gauge in my car and works fine.
The engine has new solid cam and lifters. The lifters will let oil flow thru with out much restriction when the lifter is not pushing the push rod, when lash is taken up there is a restriction. Could this be the cause of the problem??
Any suggestions on what else to look at??
Cheers Drew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

How old are the cam bearings. They are a common cause of presure loss.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM

Not sure on the age of the cam bearings but the machine shop checked these as well. Will have another look at them but the lifters are what we are looking at for loss???
We need to find the problem this is the second time the enginese been out and torn down since it was rebuilt.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Does anyone here have a diagram of a SBC oiling diagram? I know on FORD, that when installing solid lifters into a hydraulic block, that the lifter oil galleys have to be restricted as the solids don't need the full oil flow and the pressure can be directed to the mains.

It seems to me (and this is purely conjecture as Bow Tie is not my forte') that even though the oil pressure has not been diverted that it should have little effect on hot oil pressure. Are you sure you don't have an internal leakage somewheres?

And do you have access to a good quality shop mechanical oil pressure gauge?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

Mate''

Could you check the rear cam bearing and make sure that it has been installed FAR enough.. I need to STRESS this as I have just had them same problem, only I diddnt have soilds. I had very little to NO pressure at idle and my lifters would bleed down.

Make sure you remove the welsh plug and check it properly, or you could even use a little mirror on a stick to check it.
It was only luck that I found it as nobody I talked to had ever encountered this before, Only one person suggested I check this as he had it happen to him, and this was from a little sevo mechanic that had the motor out 4 times to find it.
If it isnt that I can't help you sorry..

Casey..

I hope you find something as simple as this..
Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

[QUOTE=KULTULZ]Does anyone here have a diagram of a SBC oiling diagram? I know on FORD, that when installing solid lifters into a hydraulic block, that the lifter oil galleys have to be restricted as the solids don't need the full oil flow and the pressure can be directed to the mains.QUOTE]

They don't have to be restricted. I haven't seen a solid cammed restricted block ina long time. The original idea was to keep oil out of the lifter valley to prevent windage on the crank and rods. With race type cams and rockers. you don't need a lot of oil up top either. So restricting the galley's made sense. Now, no one restricts a block, they run lower pressure's at higher volumes to cool the springs becuase it last 3 times longer. Cam wear is almost non existant with the edm lifter.

As far as you pressure problem, it sounds like you have the wrong lifter, or base circle. Look into what happens when you lift the lifter up to far. It closes the oil band and shut's down pressure/flow to the rest of the lifters. Although it shouldn't show up on a guage. If you reading it at the top rear most part of the block. If your taking reading near the front it might show on the guage.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:40 AM

Yeah i found your post on the rear cam bearing and we had a good look at that but it seems ok.
My mate talked to another engine builder today. He suggested that oil restrictors should be used and may solve the problem. We also compared the lifters to 3 other type solids i have and they do have no restriction compared to these.
We are thinking of buying another set of lifters and installing the oil restrictors and see how that goes.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.