Hot Rod Forum banner

oil pan for 318 mopar

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Spin 
#1 ·
My son has a 1974 dodge dart supersport, his 360 is shot, and he would like to put in a 318 to make a driver out of it, He got a 318 out of a old van it is a 318 1969. but it has a larger rear main, so the pan he has from his old 360/318 will not fit. The bolt pattern is ok but the larger rear main makes it so it will not fit. I guess what we need is a 318 oil pan front sump standard depth???any thoughts ?? thanks

#2 ·
Van pans were different,bigger rear main was used,in the early heavy duty application of vehicle usage,I believe. For the car,light duty applications,you should be using a rear sump pan,for "K" frame clearance. The only way you would use a front sump pan,providing you have "K" member clearance,is if you have the long extended,to the front oil pump pickup,I would change that for the rear sump pickup and car pan. I have an early '70's van motor in my 1967 Barracuda,the same chassis as your Dart,an "A" body,and I had to change mine. Is there a reason why you were changing the pan?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.