oil pan clearence on ifs. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oil pan clearence on ifs.

Hi there. I'm installing a "TCI" ifs. in my 1956 chevy pickup. My question is, how much space between the cross member and the oil pan do i need? Also how much will the motor settle once it is installed?The motor is a 350 with a 700r transmission.Thanks....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by douger456
Hi there. I'm installing a "TCI" ifs. in my 1956 chevy pickup. My question is, how much space between the cross member and the oil pan do i need? Also how much will the motor settle once it is installed?The motor is a 350 with a 700r transmission.Thanks....
I have a TCI Mustang II installed in my 55 2nd series Chevy (same truck as yours), and a 350 SBC motor. There is plenty of clearance between the xmember and the oil pan, at least 2-3" as I recall. The engine doesn't "settle" at all. I installed my motor mounts as follows; I temporarily mounted the 350 using the stock front style motor mounts to the stock xmember. Then I attached new side type motor mounts to the block, bolted on the TCI motor mounts, then welded them to the frame. After all the welds were finished up, I removed the stock front motor mounts. I also had to cut the stock xmember to get proper clearance for the power rack and pinion steering assembly.

Hope this helps. If not, let me/us know.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick reply. I originally had the stock motor mounts but didn't like the way the motor sat so far forward, so I used a tubular mount to move the motor back towards the firewall. This was in the way of the new cross member.I did have to move the motor forward to center the new motor mounts on the cross member.
My new cross member is one piece.So i'm not sure if it sits higher than the Mustang unit.Is yours the three piece unit? Right now I have about an inch of clearance maybe an inch and a half. I'm also using a Milodon oil pan which is a little deeper than stock.I could go a little higher but I have an awesome looking fan shroud that I would like to keep.But if an inch isn't enough i'll remove it.Thanks again...
Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

An inch is plenty enough.I have seen tighter fits on factory cars.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I set mine at 1''
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by douger456
Thanks for the quick reply. I originally had the stock motor mounts but didn't like the way the motor sat so far forward, so I used a tubular mount to move the motor back towards the firewall. This was in the way of the new cross member.I did have to move the motor forward to center the new motor mounts on the cross member.
My new cross member is one piece.So i'm not sure if it sits higher than the Mustang unit.Is yours the three piece unit? Right now I have about an inch of clearance maybe an inch and a half. I'm also using a Milodon oil pan which is a little deeper than stock.I could go a little higher but I have an awesome looking fan shroud that I would like to keep.But if an inch isn't enough i'll remove it.Thanks again...
Mine is indeed the 3-piece unit; crossmember+2 spring hats. 1-inch or 1-1/2" is plenty of clearance. The motor isn't going anywhere once it's mounted up.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.