Oil Pan Depth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Quadrajet
Wiki Edits: 7

Oil Pan Depth

Ok, so I am buying my new oil pump and was planning on one that has the pickup included and tack welded on to the pump. However, I don't know what the oil pan depth should be. I have to use a stock oil pan so I just need the stock small block chevy oil pan depth for a 283.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Usually the oil pan manufacturer will either include a pickup, or make one that is correct for the pan. Then you can install the pickup and take it to a machine shop and have it TIG or Heliarc welded. Don't use MIG, stick, or brazing. The bypass spring is right beside what you are heating and its very sensitive to fatigue from overheating. Some pumps also have plastic bushings inside that could melt.

The pump itself is also cast iron. Welding cast iron can very easily send hairline fractures through the casting the moment the arc hits.

A better idea is a pickup that bolts on, or just skipping the welding. If you're going to weld anything, I say install the pickup, then bolt a piece of strap steel to the mounting bolt and weld that steel to the pickup tube.

GM didn't tack weld them on, and I've never known a company more willing to spend 3 cents of prevention than GM. Welding cast iron is a very scary proposition, especially on something as critical to the engine as the oil pump.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Quadrajet
Wiki Edits: 7

Summit sells rebagged oil pumps that have the pickups already welded onto the pump housing and that is where I was looking. While pickups falling off may not be an everyday occourance, it does happen and a tack weld insurance policy sounds like a bargin to me! There are some that have a bracket that comes with the pump that bolts to the housing instead of welding.

Honestly, Weld or bracket I don't care but either way I need to know what the stock pan depth is so that what ever I order is right! This is my new circle track motor and I'm past the point now where I can order something wrong and have time to return if for the right part! My first race is 3 weeks away and on saturday I punched a rod out the side of my oil pan on my current motor.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,027 Times in 859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_81073
Ok, so I am buying my new oil pump and was planning on one that has the pickup included and tack welded on to the pump. However, I don't know what the oil pan depth should be. I have to use a stock oil pan so I just need the stock small block chevy oil pan depth for a 283.
Install the pump. Fashion a cone of oil-based modeling clay about the size of a dime at one end and tapering down to about the size of a pencil eraser at the other end and about 3/4" long. Mash the big end onto the flat surface of the oil pump pickup after de-greasing the flat surface. Rub a little oil onto the interior of the pan on the bottom so the clay will not stick to the pan and push the oil pan up into place, making sure to push up moderately on the area where the clay is and fit the pan up against the block all around. You won't need the gasket in place to do this. Remove the pan and measure the height of the clay column. The pickup should be 1/4" to 3/8" off the bottom of the pan and the clay will tell you the clearance.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.