Oil Pan Temperature Measurement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Pan Temperature Measurement

I'm interested in collecting oil pooling temperature data.
Would like temp sending unit that fits ford chevy 1/2-20 UNF drain plug ports.
Looking for more sources and specs for 1/2-20 UNF senders?
Ohm range for VDO 250F sender?
Bad idea to monitor oil pooling temp?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I've not seen a sender like that, although I find it hard to imagine that they're not made by someone.

Quote:
Bad idea to monitor oil pooling temp?
I don't know that I would call it a bad idea per se, but it does raise the question- what is the reason, or how you want to actually use the info.

For monitoring the engine as you drive, I would think it would have limited value. The water temp rises much faster than the oil temp in the event of a cooling system failure. The oil pressure will tell you much quicker than the oil temp if there's a catastrophic failure in the oil system. So if you had oil pressure and water temp gages, you'd be ahead of the game in that regard, IMHO.

Yes, there are some failures that do not register as a loss of oil pressure or increase in coolant temp, but those would not raise the oil pan's oil temp to any significant degree, either- the extreme oil temp spikes are seen in in localized areas, not throughout the oil pan, until it's too late.

If it would work to monitor and record oil temps immediately following various driving conditions, one thought that comes to mind is to use an IR laser thermometer to point at the oil pan to take the oil temp with. Obviously this wouldn't work as you are driving down the road, but it might be used after coming to a stop after whatever maneuvers you put the vehicle through.

Harbor Freight has Cen-Tech units at $25, possibly less for non laser pointer equipped units, or you might already own one. Granted, the temp will not be the exact oil temp due to boundary layer differences, but used over a period of time under differing conditions, it should be able to provide you w/some useful data.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

I have IR gun I use to collect data. Would be handy to have drain plug temp sending unit. Planning to install senders in tranny and diff also. May use one gauge to service various senders.

I found a couple companies that sell oil pan 1/2-20unf temp sending units; need VDO sending unit ohms specs to check compatibility.

I will use data to determine when oil pool is sufficient temp to drive condensed water from pooled oil.

I wish to minimize engine wear.

I am keeping oil press and water temp as well.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

While looking at the new Camaro's I noticed that they have tranny fluid and oil temp gauges now on the console. I guess their for the guy's that want it all. If GM has them, someone is building them.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There are 4-channel-plus thermocouple interfaces for displaying info onto one gauge, that's no problem. Or you can easily make an analog set-up that's switchable.

My question would be, how will you know if there's water present in the first place, and how much of it there is, and how long it will take for it to evaporate if there IS water.

Formation of condensation under some conditions is a given- it WILL happen. It has long been held that by bringing the operating temp up to normal and holding it there for some period of time is preferable to "short hop" driving where the engine never reaches operating temp in the first place.

I believe the BEST way to reduce engine wear w/o having to worry about keeping the engine running long enough to dissipate any condensation (which is just not possible or practical some times), is to do frequent oil and filter changes, and to use a "preluber" to pressurize the oiling system prior to start up.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

If oil pools over 212F after 15 minutes then condensation driven off.
If oil pools at 120F after short hops then condensation will build like you said.
I'm just curious how long for my oil to heat up and max oil temp.
Will help confirm proper tstat selection also.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001mustang
If oil pools over 212F after 15 minutes then condensation driven off.
If oil pools at 120F after short hops then condensation will build like you said.
I'm just curious how long for my oil to heat up and max oil temp.
Will help confirm proper tstat selection also.
Not a bad idea, what you'll learn will give you pause before whipping the throttle on a cold engine. The oil, especially in cold weather, takes a lot longer to heat up than does the coolant.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.