Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil Pressure Guage = Fuel Pressure Guage

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 · (Edited)
Oil Pressure Guage = Fuel Pressure Guage?

Some may remember my post a few days ago about using an oil temp guage for tranny temp. I have another question though. The guages I use are limitted in variety but almost all are electronic. Could I use an electronic oil pressure guage for fuel? The style of guages I'm using doesn't currently include a fuel pressure guage but I would like to install one. Is there a standard for the electrical components of guages? Another thing I was thinking of doing is buying just the electronic sending unit for fuel pressure and attaching it to the guages available that will match.

Will this work?

Here's a picture of what my current oil pressure sender looks like. It's very similar.

See less See more
#6 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Couple of things you MAY not have considered...

First the Media is different, Oil is MUCH thicker than Fuel (and much hotter)....Chances are If it registers at all, It will be grossly in error...

The Sender Resistance MUST be matched to the Resistance of the Gauge in order for it to operate. You Can't just mix and match any gauges.

Fuel MOST Likely will attack any non metallic parts over time, and the sender MAY end up spraying fuel on each stroke of the pump when it does start to leak, leading to a fire.. :sweat:

Just some Food For thought..

Doc :pimp:

#8 ·
topdogger said:
So in other words I would be much better off without a fuel pressure guage. This isn't a high performance application. I simply need another guage to fill the spot and I figured it would have been nice to have a fuel pressure reading.

Doc here, :pimp:

Well, If you can get a Fuel approved sender..and don't put a whole lot of stock in the readings..I guess it will be OK..But I wouldn't do it personally..

You can get a pressure gauge / regulator at the Auto parts store Cheap enough..mounts on the inlet line Or get some AN plumbing for it to go to the mounting area..But again, a dash gauge for fuel pressure isn't that important to me..Either it is or it isn't..

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.