Oil pressure help? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2002, 07:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Oil pressure help?

Hey guys I am new and need a little help. I know my car isnt really a rod but I need help if you can none the less.

I just rebuilt my engine from my 96 Camaro. It is the Buick series II 3.8 ltr engine. My initial problem was I lost oil pressure and spun my mains. Well I rebuilt it and it is turning over and running. But I am not showing any oil preesure from the gauge. I did replace the oil pump during the rebuild. So is there anything else that you guys can think of? I am also going to repace the sending unit.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 09:21 AM

if you are replacing the sending unit,do that first. then check the little things after.are you getting oil to the lifters through the push rods? you might have a plugged oil passegeway going up to your send out unit.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:04 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Exclamation

I would first verify oil pressure using a good quality mechanical oil pressure gauge. Buy, rent..beg or borrow one.

You need to go back into the engine if no oil pressure and find out why. Does this engine have DIS? Is there a way to pre-lube the engine before fireup and check oil pressure and flow?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:16 PM

I cant find anyone around that has an oil pressure gauge. Thats what I was looking for orignaly. I am going to go buy a new sending unti today to see if that is my problem. There is no way to really pre lube the engine. When I dropped my pistons back in a lined the cyclinder with poly grese. Same with crank,bearings,timing chain, and all other mechanical parts.

What are the parts of my motor that would affect oil pressure? I know my mains, wich were spun. I replaced them. Replaced the oil pump. And after the sending unit what else could it be?
Old 12-03-2002, 05:31 AM

Well my sending unit wasnt the problem. I bought a newone last night and I still dont read pressure.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:52 AM
aka Duke of URL

Question

[quote]When I dropped my pistons back in a lined the cyclinder with poly grese. Same with crank,bearings,timing chain, and all other mechanical parts.<hr></blockquote>

By poly grease, do you mean chassis grease?
Old 12-03-2002, 07:08 AM

It is assembly greese. High temp, high friction greese.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:50 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Edge,
Assembly lube, grease, moly, goop, etc., should NEVER be used on cylinder walls, rings, etc. Good ol' straight weight motor oil is the best thing for pistons, rings, cylinder walls. That is not what is causing your oil pressure problem though. You stated that the engine had a spun main bearing. Did you have the engine align bored prior to installing the new main bearings??? If not, you have undoubtedly spun your new bearings.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:41 AM
aka Duke of URL

Question

The reason I asked is that certain types of grease will not disolve in motor oil and plug certain oil passages. That is why you assemble an oil pump with Vaseline (petroleum jelly)...it will disolve.

The only places you use assembly lube is mainly on the cam and valvetrain. The rest, motor oil is used for assembly.

I don't see where a spun main requires line boring of the crank saddle if you get the proper bearing crush on assembly and the caps/saddles were not damaged. A simple spin of the crank after installation will give you an idea of any possible binding.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:49 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

You are absolutely correct, align boring would not be necessary if you have the correct amount of bearing crush. But, my experience has been that a spun main bearing will beat up the housing enough that proper crush is not possible. If there is not sufficient crush, it will not cause the crank to bind, in fact just the opposite - the crank will turn more freely.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:52 AM

Engineguy

Yes they straightend my crank, and index it. They also resurfaced and straightend my con-rods. This was done at a local machine shop.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:59 AM
aka Duke of URL

Question

How did you determine bearing crush/fit at assembly?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:10 AM

Well since they re surfaced/turned the journals on my crank and the con-rods I just followed the upper vs lower instructions that came with my Clevite77 bearings. Was this wrong to assume. They were all the same except my number 2 main and I got the right.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:22 AM
aka Duke of URL

Unhappy

Well...

You should have at the least plasti-gauged them. If the machine shop ground the crank say.010 and resized the rods...and then handed you a set of oversize bearings, it does not necessarily mean you will get the correct crush/clearance.

Sometimes to get the correct clearance, you may have to use either a red or blue bearing half or one of a completely different size.

First things first...you need a mechanical gauge on the engine to ascertain whether there is pressure or not. If not...hmm...did you prime the oil pump before firing? You have no alternative but to go back into it and see where the problem lies.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:35 AM

Thanks. I am going to get a gauge tonight. I didnt platic-gauge them, my chiltons said it wasnt mesecary. I guess that was probably stock bearings they were talking about. There isnt a way to prime my oil pump. It is behind my front cover and it attaches to the crank.

I will let you guys know what my gauge is reading. I figure it should be around 40-50psi right?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.