Oil pressure question. Daily driver's getting old. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Oil pressure question. Daily driver's getting old.

Daily driver - 1993 Honda Civic LX, D15B7 engine. <----

What are some things you can do to keep your oil pressure up when the mileage is really getting up there on a four cylinder? It's close to 200,000 miles and the oil pressure light is starting to flicker. (No it's not the oil sending unit. I changed it. And, no I haven't put an actual guage on it to see what the true pressure is.) But let's assume for this post anyway, that the motor is just wearing out.

How about a heavier weight oil? Anything else?

Advertisement

Last edited by GMW; 12-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

I think the risk of a pump failure from the heavier weight oil is greater than the benefit you would see from the increased oil pressure. Although 200k is not uncommen on a honda, its probably due for a rebuild. Do it before something breaks, might save you some money.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:31 PM

I agree with you, that's the long term fix. I just want to try and nurse it along as best I can in the short term.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Build it right the first time

Last photo:

lucas oil stabilizer!!!! i highly recommend it, the motor i had before i buitl my 383 stroker was a 1977 350 chevy 4 bolt that had 316,000 miles on it all original, it had on about 20psi oil pressure at cruise rpm and only about 5psi at idle i didnt like that at all, i went to the local auto zone picked up some lucas pored it in and va-wa-la i then had about 40psi at cruise and about 15 at idle, and it stayed liek that until i decided to build a new engine about another 1500 miles later i swear by that stuff now i even run it in my new motors !!!!! hope that works for you
Old 12-09-2006, 09:51 PM

UPDATE: For those who might learn from my experience. I drained the 5w-30 out this morning and put in 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer and filled it the rest of the way with Penzoil 10w-30 high mileage oil...I drove it approximately 5 miles and it basically died (Rods knocking so hard it wouldn't stay running.)

So the moral is, at least in this case, Lucas and thicker oil killed the engine.

I might try draining it again and put some 5w-30 back in just to see if she'll go again.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Wow! hopefully its ok, 200k on a honda engine is not very high if taken care of. Take a look at this link http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Jordon
Old 12-09-2006, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

did the oil pressure light come on before it died?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Build it right the first time

Last photo:

wow.....well srry to hear about your car man.....like i said when i used it, it was on an older v8 so i didnt know how it would do to a honda, i ran straight 40w penziol with the lucas in the 350 i would assume the honda would need a lower viscostity oil obviously..........hope you get it going again
Old 12-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

For what it's worth, I only use 10-40 in my wifes acura. It has 244,000 miles on the original motor. I don't think the extra viscosity hurts anything on a high milage motor.

I have used STP and motor medic on some of my high milage stuff in the past and not had any catastrophic bearing failures.

I know if I used additives, (STP and motor medic) and if the motors quieted down they last a lot longer than if I used nothing. I ran motor medic in a 63 econoline for 3 years. The oil pressure in that van was nonexistant. Cold was 20 psi, hot was under 10. That was with the motor medic. (I finally killed that motor driving it from Las Vegas to Santa Cruz when it overheated and cracked the head.)

I've used nothing also.
I've seen 6 different cars of mine pitch rods from being worn out and abused. I had fun with a few of them..

I would have tried the Lucas additive too.

Sometimes you buy some time , sometimes you don't.

Hope you have something else to drive.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-10-2006, 09:27 AM

After I drained the 5w-30, added the 10w-30 high milage, and Lucas, the oil light was on solid. No off, on, off, and no flickering. LIke I said, it took about 5 miles and she was knocking pretty good. It just couldn't pump the thicker stuff.

As far as the history of the car I've had it for a little over a year. I did however, get it from the original owner. I don't think he took as great of care of it as maybe he should have, huh?

Oh well, live and learn. I'll see if putting something thinner back in can at least get it going again. But, if I don't thats OK. When it died I went to the Honda Dealer yesterday afternoon and bought a brand new 2007 Honda Civic Sedan with 18 miles on it.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

I've there is compression, spark and air it should at least try to crank. I think a compression and leak down test are in order. At least thats where I would start. The vtec motors are worth a little money. If the motor is shot, part it out and put the money into suping up the new ride. JDM parts are expensive, and with the tuner market you may be able to get some good money on ebay.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Oil additives are supposed to be added slowly to a warm running engine. If you put the additive in first, you have the equivalent of 100 weight oil laying on the bottom of the pan.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Well maybe thats what happened, the heavier weight oil sank to the bottom and the pump just wasn't strong enough to pick it up. I would think that this engine is probably doomed but who knows.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:57 PM

i read a couple articles a while back in chevy hi perf. mag. by mobil oil and purple oil.tight bearing clearance's are a must so your pump will need light oil to flow well.mobil in particular stressed light oil for racing along with a good pump,they're cheap compared to a roller cam set up.think about how much h.p. it takes to move that heavy oil.if you can't get to the pump to change it then i would run some internal engine cleaner that i don't recall the name of it now but most any parts store has it.beyond that all any heavy oil will do for you is cause your guage to lie to you.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

I think all adding an engine "cleaner" will do is give him a LEAKY burnt up motor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.