Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - oil pressure sending unit leaks
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
After a compression fitting is taken off and on a few times they can get to the point where they no longer seal. If you have a plastic line, cut it squarely to remove the ferrule that's crimped onto the line.

Most any parts house will sell you a small bag of replacement ferrules for a pittance, reuse the rest of the fitting as long as the threads are OK.

The complete fitting part number is a Weatherhead # 68x2 (Retail $1.40 CDN)
which is 1/8 NPT pipe thread on one end (which screws into the engine), and the other end is a 1/8" tube compression fitting.

You can buy JUST the ferrule if you like.
Weatherhead P/N for that is 60x2. (Retail $0.17 CDN)

Also ... I dislike / distrust plastic tubing as I had a bad experience. My brother borrowed my car, and the tubing blew out of the fitting. It's amazing how quickly you can drain an oil pan out of a 1/8" diameter hole with a high-volume oil pump.

To complicate matters, he broke the brass fitting off clean at the engine while attempting to tighten things up again. (He was 17, I was 21 at the time.)

Needless to say, there were a few cuss-words uttered as I used an easy-out to remove the broken fitting.

I played it safe, replaced the platic tubing with copper. Yes, I made the line long enough to add a couple of 3" loops to accomodate engine movement and vibration.