Oil pressure switch for elec. fuel pump? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well I guess I had my facts straight ,, the button I was referring to is just a temporary swith to prime the carb if it has ben sitting for extended time or maybe just ran out of gas ,it is not to be used each time you start it,just as a bypass ,but if tour manufacturer recommend something different I would probably use their advice ,,mine is hooked up llike I stated ,because if mine sits for a while it also leaks back and it takes a few minutes to fill my carbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner fenders 002.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	74271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner fenders 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	74272   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACCESORYS 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	74273  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

Trying to get a clear picture.....

"Second one is connected to the ignition."
Is this wire connected to the coil? if so that's your problem.

"Third one is power from the ignition switch that activates the solenoid."
Is this wire going to the ing switch? This is the wire you need to hook to.

Here's the issue..... when the NC terminal is tied to the "I" terminal on the solenoid, it will provide juice in start.... the pump runs etc.... when the key returns to the run position, the solenoid disengages and the "I" terminal is isolated from the start function and pwr from the solenoid and the pump should not run......... except that the wire that runs from the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid to the pos post on the coil...... and there is a wire that runs from the ing switch to the pos post on the coil that supplies the coil with pwr in the run position...... result: feedback from the ing switch in the run position to the pos post on the coil, which is connected to the "I" terminal on the solenoid, which is connected to the NC terminal on the oil switch.

Solution: switch the oil press switch wire from the "I" terminal to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

Last edited by EOD Guy; 05-23-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM

You have it correct. The lead to the oil pressure switch is connected to the terminal on the solenoid that goes to the coil, and that is where the feedback occurs. When I switch to the other terminal, I get feedback through the oil pressure switch once the car starts and oil pressure builds up that keeps the starter spinning with the key in the "on" position. This is a far more serious consequence and that is why I chose the I terminal.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

elec fuel pump

use a bypas switch,hide it under dash. 2 reasons 1 use for a primer if vehicle not used for a long time between runs. 2 easy to inst use a push buton switch. 1 wire to ign,1 wire to run side of oil pres switch.

another way is use a older ford solinoid,2nd terminal was for full 12 volts to coil when solinoid engaged,when ign back to run no curent goes to the terminal.

BY pas is the best solution. cliff
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 AM

Cliff, the bypass switch is a good idea and I will add one. I am using the older Ford solenoid and I get feedback from the ignition circuit to that 12 volt terminal that causes the pump to run in the ignition switch "on" position regardless of oil pressure, thereby defeating the reason for the switch.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

This will help
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM

lg1969, thanks for the diagram. That is the way I have the fuel pump wired, including the relay. My problem is with the connections to the oil sending switch. I cannot hook up the switch as described by Holley without getting feedback from my ignition system that defeats the purpose of the switch.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM

EOD Guy, after re-reading some of your earlier posts on how the oil pressure switch works, I am beginning to think that I have a defective switch. As I understand it, when oil pressure builds, the switch activates the "no" connection and deactivates the "nc" connection. If that occurs, then I should not get feedback through the switch to the "s" terminal on the solenoid that activates the starter. I will try to check the operation of my switch.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Problem Solved

I tapped on the side of the oil pressure switch and I was able to connect the "s" terminal from the solenoid - the one directly from the start position on the ignition switch to the "nc" post on the oil pressure switch and got no feed back when oil pressure built up. Must have been stuck. Everything is working as it should and the car starts & runs great, at least for now. I also put in the under dash primer switch just in case.

Thanks to EOD Guy and all the others who responded and helped me out. Glad I found this forum. You guys are the greatest.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Glad to help. You have proven once again what a well placed whack will do! I don't use a primer switch...... but I do keep a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end. My thought..... if the pressure switch ever goes south, I'll place the jumper on the common and NO terminals on the oil switch.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

starter solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird57 View Post
I tapped on the side of the oil pressure switch and I was able to connect the "s" terminal from the solenoid - the one directly from the start position on the ignition switch to the "nc" post on the oil pressure switch and got no feed back when oil pressure built up. Must have been stuck. Everything is working as it should and the car starts & runs great, at least for now. I also put in the under dash primer switch just in case.

Thanks to EOD Guy and all the others who responded and helped me out. Glad I found this forum. You guys are the greatest.
if you use the 12volt solenoid ther ar 2 small terminals1 is toactuate thr switch,the other is to feed 12volts to coil,once engin starts ant ign is to run position ther is no more voltage to the coll via the solenoid,coil gets power threw the egn and the the resistor at a lower voltage

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.