oil pressure trouble ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oil pressure trouble ?

Ok its on a 355 sbc solid lifter cam, double hump heads, 9.8 compression stock oil pump. Ok motor was rebuilt last summer and its in a street strip 55 wagon. I race points with it during race season and last year after fresh rebuild it ran great carried 25 psi at idle warn and 55 psi going down the strip, its got about 40 passes on it. I drove it some over the winter not much tho. Saturday was a test and tune on the first pass i noticed it losing oil pressure it would drop to 20psi at half track and hold there till i lifted and it would slam to 60 psi. I added a court of oil thinking maybe the pickup came off and second pass it was worse you could see it dropping in the burnt and when you lift off the gas it comes back to normal. So when i got home i put a new mecahanical oil psi gauge and no luck then i dropped pan and things looked great pick up was still attached and i pulled oil pump looked fine, i had a high volume pump new in the box so i put it on just to try it, and it got worse when it idles with around 25psi and cruising it carrys 35 psi and when you stomp the throttle and hold it down it slowly drops to around 15 to 20 psi and comes back up when you lift. The only thing that was changed over the winter was a new distributor.Im lost please all help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would check the dist. you replaced. The lifter oil galley runs thru the dist shaft - if the machining is not right on the shaft, oil could be by passing causing low pres. Also check galley plugs on front - if loose or missing this will cause low pres.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Change the oil filter. I had this happen to me on my 400SBC. It was the oil filter.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:21 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the info, the distributor is a new mallory magnetic pickup, also when i changed the filter it had great oil pressure right away then when back to doing it again, can the bypass where the oil filter screws on be causing this? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The bypass gets a pipe plug installed in it on my engines.

Along about '86 this filter mount was changed to a different style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of bypass 001.jpg
Views:	4664
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	36918  
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer
thanks for the info, the distributor is a new mallory magnetic pickup, also when i changed the filter it had great oil pressure right away then when back to doing it again, can the bypass where the oil filter screws on be causing this? Thanks.
Yes it could. When I did mine I removed the oil filter adapter and inspected it also and it seemed ok so I stuck it back in with a new GM Delco oil filter and its been fine ever since. (6600rpm)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

ok guys so i checked the oil filter adapter and put a different brand oil filter on it. still same results. Ok a old drag racing guy told me that he had a cracked crank shaft do exactly what im talking about, had great oil psi until under a load and the crank flexing opend up the crack and lost oil psi and soon as you lift its back to normal. Ive had alot of grief with this motor, it was built by a man that builds race motors and has built atleast 40 percent of the motors at the track, when i first bought it it was fresh got ten passes on it and it wiped out six rod bearings , now with only 40 or so passes this happend, is it possible this crank could have been the reason for the first bearing failure? Thanks for all the help its frustrating.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
WFO

Last photo:

This theory could hold water IF the crank's forged steel. They will flex (to a point ) w/o breaking, unlike a cast crank that cannot withstand flex nearly as well.

Just for s&g, can you reinstall the original distributor (including the old oil pump drive) and test for oil pressure?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

yes i can try that tommorow and see if that does anything, ive also noticed a little vibration at 3800 and on up? Wasnt there till this problem occured.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Quote:
yes i can try that tommorow and see if that does anything, ive also noticed a little vibration at 3800 and on up? Wasnt there till this problem occured.

Oil pump loose. Did you check the front galley plugs???
Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

the oil pump was tight, and i havent had a chance to check oil galley plugs, the engine builder wants me to pull it out and bring it back. This will be the fourth time its been in and out of the car, when does a person say thats it and go else where? Ive had to pay money every time weve had it apart no warantees on work but some free labor. Last time he had it apart he wouldnt let me come and get it because he didnt want his name tarnished, so it took another complette rebuild so it cost me almost full price less 300 of labor. Ive paid to have this thing built twice and this will be number three. Thanks for your help
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Last time he had it apart he wouldnt let me come and get it because he didnt want his name tarnished, so it took another complette rebuild so it cost me almost full price less 300 of labor.
???

Sounds like it's time to declare "malarkey" on this hack.

It's YOUR engine, if he were to hold me up like that, more than his name would get tarnished! LOL

Time to move on, cut your losses, and find another wrench, IMHO.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

I may have missed something, but it sounds like this oil pressure issue is only present under acceleration. Is it possible that the pickup may not be sitting deep enough in the pan and under acceleration the oil is moving away from it causing it to suck air instead of oil? Though it may also have contributed to your original bearing failure.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Quote:
the oil pump was tight, and i havent had a chance to check oil galley plugs, the engine builder wants me to pull it out and bring it back. This will be the fourth time its been in and out of the car, when does a person say thats it and go else where? Ive had to pay money every time weve had it apart no warantees on work but some free labor. Last time he had it apart he wouldnt let me come and get it because he didnt want his name tarnished, so it took another complette rebuild so it cost me almost full price less 300 of labor. Ive paid to have this thing built twice and this will be number three. Thanks for your help
"When does a person say thats it.....". The simple answer is build you own engine. Building/assembling is very easy and with all the information available (including the very knowledgeable members of this site) you have all the resources needed. If you don't have them, invest a few hundered dollars in some measuring/building tools and go for it. You can't do any worse then your present situation!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for all your help, im sure the pickup sets deep enuff in the oil its a deep 7 quart pan, what does it meen when someone asked if it could be cavatating the oil pump? I run 10w 30 so its not real thick. Your rite there is alot of great information on this site and i plan on tearing it down and checking it out myself and going from there, ive done alot on top end builds and cam swaps and such just never tackled the bottom end. Thanks again

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.