oil priming? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I use Melling high volume pumps for all my Chevy builds, and nothing but Brad Penn straight 30 wt. breakin oil for new engines. I can watch the pressure come up, but I don't hear or feel the drill motor change on my Porter Cable drill.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

prelube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I use Melling high volume pumps for all my Chevy builds, and nothing but Brad Penn straight 30 wt. breakin oil for new engines. I can watch the pressure come up, but I don't hear or feel the drill motor change on my Porter Cable drill.
toured the cat engine plant wher they build and test 200 engines pr shift,they pump in warm engine oil warm watter (30wt oil) start up give 1 or 2 min then take full power for 10 min, remove and paint .send to customer. along the assembly line i saw only standerd engine oil aplied to brgs etc as *** line moved. so in my opinion,put it together corectly,prelube and run. cliff
Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

IMO the benefit in using a bearing assembly lube is when the engine won't be started right away. The thicker viscosity of the assembly lube keeps the lube in place longer than motor oil.

But I agree w/cliff that there have been a ton of engines started up w/o any damage after priming using nothing more than motor oil on the bearings at assembly.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Honestly the first option for priming oil in a engine is to pressure fill it.They aren't that hard to build.If you build enough engines it is well worth it. We haven't built one yet,but do need to go that route.The test stands at the Chevy engine plant fills the engines that way.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

priming

I was priming and I got it up to 55, 60lbs of oil pressure after about 45 seconds. I heard I should do it for at least 2 minutes? I don't want to go to long because of wash off of bearings etc. Just like some of u talked about. Advise, thanks as always, Dana
Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM
May the torque be with you.

That sounds right on for oil pressure. Over priming would wash away the pre lube but not unless you really go to town pumping oil. If you immediately put in the distributor and fire it after priming, oil will be there and it should establish pressure instantly when started. Without priming it takes a few nerve wracking seconds to register. Then rev it between 2000 and 2500 for about 25 minutes. Change oil, run softly for a whole tank of gas, dont let it low idle or drop below 20psi oil. If it does, oil is too thin or clearances are too big, or pump is going bad. After this nice long cruise, change oil again. Now it is fully broke in and ready for anything, but I still go soft for atliest another tank. This is coming from the hillbilly who dosnt prime oil but this procedure worked for me every build though. Lucas additive and stp zinc are youre friends.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

pre lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
IMO the benefit in using a bearing assembly lube is when the engine won't be started right away. The thicker viscosity of the assembly lube keeps the lube in place longer than motor oil.

But I agree w/cliff that there have been a ton of engines started up w/o any damage after priming using nothing more than motor oil on the bearings at assembly.
think about what happens,you pre lube try starting your engine,it will have full oil supply even on the starter,so even if timeing is out stop correct ,you have full oilpresure within several revolutions.there is nothing wrong with assem lube,but i have witnesed to much of gresy over lay and no prelube the oil pump has to pump oil past the heavey greaslike material.which can delay it from primeing,oil pump must push air out of galleries be for it can pick up oil.any ways we are beating this to death,we wind up doing what we think works best. cliff

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.