Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oil psi and not so much psi
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil psi and not so much psi

First and foremost I want to state that due to the rpm's I will be talking about we are diagnosing a boat engine.

SBC 350, 2 bolt main, stock re ring and bearing kit.

First and foremost, did I plasi gauge all of my bearings? Yes. NO doubts.

So here is what Ive got going on. I have an idea but want to compare it to what you guys think.

Running out on the lake at 2500 rpm's or less Im showing 40 psi and at idle Im showing 20 psi (here is where the fun starts). As long as I stay under 3000 rpm's my psi will stay in this range no matter what I do or how long I do it, from 5 min up to an hour (the longest I have tested my theory).

Once I romp on the ole girl (above 3000 to 3500 rpm range) the pressure still stays at a nice constant 40ish, but after a higher rpm run and pulling back down to idle I experience psi's of like 5. After that I can never get it to idle back up to 20 psi....... that is unless I take her home and put her up for the night, then the next day it starts all over again with the 20 to 40 range UNTIL I get above those magic numbers.

Its a re ring so I am running the 20-50 valvoline race oil. Im running a brand new HV oil pump (not high psi). Ditched the larger oil filter for a smaller car filter to hopefully keep more oil in the pan for circulation........ Delco filter. Oil has been changed since first start up.

Like I stated I have an idea of where I should be looking, but wanted a few opinions if you all would be good enough to give them to me.

P.S. I also ordered a new sending unit should be here this week. This is my #1 check. Im also going to put in a "T" and a mechanical gauge to double check my numbers.

But up till now this is what I have and this is what my delema is.

Thoughts?!