Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oil pump bolt pull out
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Update

Oakily doakily, pulled the rear main cap and checked things out....everything but the "chip" looked great, this is good news as my wife rolled her eye's when I told her what had happened. Gotta keep the sponsor posted on these types of things lol.

So when checking this out I realized that the bolt had'nt bottomed out as I assumed, it only bit in 1 1/2 - 2 threads....wrong bolt? or taller mounting deck on the new pump...it is still up for discussion lol.

Ran to the local big box hardware store and they dont carry 7/16 grade 8 hardware...hmmm ran across the street to the "other place" and scored a 3 inch 7/16 grade 8 bolt and 3 washers of the same grade. Figured instead of cutting the bolt I could use them as spacers, I know the easy way out. Cleaned everything up on the cap, put the pump on BEFORE mounting the cap and checked clearances.everything looked good so I resinstalled the cap, torqued it home, put the pump on and realized I had'nt mounted the pick up yet lol....off it came and to the parts store I went. Put it on right there on the counter sothey wouldnt hassle me for a CC for the "loan" of the tool. These guys did'nt even know they has the tool until I convinced them that it was on the loaner shelf.
So at any rate I have a solid 1/2-3/4 inch of grade 8 bolt lock tighted in holding the pump, i feel fairly sure it will stay put.
On to the next step...pick up tube positioning and deciding to either have it brazed or "clamped" on or both...

Thanks for the advice, I look forward to poking around the site and learning/sharing as I can.

Muddi1/Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck parts 001.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	47412   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck parts 002.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	47413   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck parts 003.JPG