Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oil Pump Pickup screen collapsed SBC GEN1
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
The original engine is meek at best.If its in a race car,then freshen it according to use required
That's what I was afraid of. After checking the block casting I'm pretty sure its the L48. Engines purchase was mainly to put something in the car to get me going. I have owned it for 2 years and its just been sitting. Cars pretty hard to push around the shop with a spool in the rear LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
a 79 corvette engine is a pretty damn "mild" engine, I'd just replace the pickup, though since the pan is off check your bearings. Also pop the oil pump open and check for any wear of the housing or gears.
The engine has been rebuilt. There are scribe marks and numbers stamped in the rods. Pistons look brand new on the bottoms. Rod bolts are some no names (slightly worrisome) I am going to pull the pump off to remove the old pick up. Its tack welded in place. Once I get the pump on I will do a compression check. ( I have this feeling that it would be better to spin the engine over with oil in the pan, rather than dry I can also prime it.) What are the torque specs for the mains and rods? Thanks a bunch. Thanks for all the reply's. This is a BS motor for the time being. I do plan to rebuild or swap it out before I get serious racing it. I plan to let my younger brother get some track time in it before I drop in a powerful engine. FWIW, I have a plate system laying around. Whats a good shot of n2o on this engine? Thanks again!!