Oil Pump Priming - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Pump Priming

I tried priming the oil pump on my 350 today and I don't know if I have a problem or not.It's on the stand,filled it with oil and rented a priming tool from Autozone.I started the drill slowly until I felt some resistance and started giving the drill some more juice but it seemed to be getting harder for the drill to turn so I stopped.I pulled the tool a stuck in a screwdriver and tried to turn the pump,it turned but somewhat hard.I let it sit for a while and went back and it was much easier to turn.I expected to see some oil come up through the rockers but I didn't also one of the reasons I stopped priming.I didn't have an oil pressure gauge hooked up so I'm not sure if It getting any.
I know it has enough oil in it,I double checked the pickup height when put it together and I had the drill going the right way.Should I pull the pan and the oil pump and check it,or put a gauge on it first and try it again.How long should it take for pressure to build.I as using a 3/8 drill should that be strong enough for the job.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 PM

oil priming

On this problem i hope your using an electric drill ,i would try it again you have to remember that the oil has to go thru the dry lifters and the in them.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It`s supposed to be hard. It`s trying to squeeze oil through passages that are about .002 of clearance on the rod and main bearings. That`s where the
"pressure" in oil pressure comes from. If the pump just free spun but still pumped some oil then you`d have a problem.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

I just primed my chevy engine 2 weeks ago and you have got to use a heavy duty drill, not a wimpy one because it will not spin enough to get oil to the rockers and might burn up the drill. Use the tool and do yourself a favor and buy a 20 dollar oil pressure gauage or a 30 dollar oil/temp/voltage guage set. Very easy to install and you want to make sure what your pressure is at with a brand new engine you spent so much money on. The drill I used was a beefy hammer type that pluged in to an outlet and it had plenty of torque and rpm to get to the rockers. Also spin the engine some by hand to get through all of the passages.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Use a decent 1/2 inch electric drill thats what i alway's use, As do most people.

Cole
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

i darn near cooked my 3/8" craftsman drill priming a motor.. it was getting hot enough to smoke... use a compressed air drill if you have one.

remember you _HAVE_ to turn the crank while priming, or only half the engine will get oil!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino383
I tried priming the oil pump on my 350 today and I don't know if I have a problem or not.It's on the stand,filled it with oil and rented a priming tool from Autozone.I started the drill slowly until I felt some resistance and started giving the drill some more juice but it seemed to be getting harder for the drill to turn so I stopped.I pulled the tool a stuck in a screwdriver and tried to turn the pump,it turned but somewhat hard.I let it sit for a while and went back and it was much easier to turn.I expected to see some oil come up through the rockers but I didn't also one of the reasons I stopped priming.I didn't have an oil pressure gauge hooked up so I'm not sure if It getting any.
I know it has enough oil in it,I double checked the pickup height when put it together and I had the drill going the right way.Should I pull the pan and the oil pump and check it,or put a gauge on it first and try it again.How long should it take for pressure to build.I as using a 3/8 drill should that be strong enough for the job.
A 3/8's home utility drill does not have the kahunas to run a Chevy oil pump. This needs at least 1/2 inch chucked, contractors grade drill motor. It is likely you won't get oil from some push rods and perhaps none at all from the passenger side. Rotating the engine with a wrench in it's normal direction of rotation is necessary to operate the lifter's internal valves that allows oil into the push rod.

Bogie
Old 12-18-2010, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

a 3/8" home drill can do it.. but it's very hard on the motor and it gets HOT FAST

i agree however.. a bigger 1/2 drill is the way to go.. I usually use my 240v hammer drill with the hammer turned off.. but last engine I primed, 240v wasn't available.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Oil Pump Priming

Update
I hooked up an oil gauge this morning and gave it another try.Oil started to flow and I got to about 20 psi before my 3/8 drill got so hot I couldn't hold it anymore,it was smoking.Went down to Harbor Freight and got a 1/2 drill.No problem this time,got 50 psi and oil coming out of all the push rods on both sides but more it seems on the left than the right,it wasn't shooting out but it was flowing.I didn't rotate the engine,I have all the spark plugs in and I didn't want to bust the balancer bolt.I'll pull the plugs and prime it again
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,149 Times in 948 Posts
Does the priming tool look like this?
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=88439
Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Oil Pump Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Does the priming tool look like this?
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=88439
Yes thats what I'm using
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

it's important to have that collar on it.. that's necessary to seal the oil gallies in the small block.. if you don't, it will never pump oil to the top of the engine.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Oil Pump Priming

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8oye
it's important to have that collar on it.. that's necessary to seal the oil gallies in the small block.. if you don't, it will never pump oil to the top of the engine.
Yes I have the collar on,I'm getting oil to the top with about 50-55 psi.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino383
Yes I have the collar on,I'm getting oil to the top with about 50-55 psi.
sorry.. didn't mean to imply you didn't.. that was just more a general observation then anything. sounds like you got the whole thing under control.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.