Oil Pump Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Pump Problem

I purchased a 1968 327 engine that was "freshened up", new cam & lifters, HV oil pump, Edelbock intake and carb. He said the oil pump was acting funny so he returned it to Summit for an other one. Worked OK for a little while - 50 psi , 25 or so at idle. Now it has very little pressure at idle and only shows 25 at higher RPM. What are the possibility's ? I have new electric gauges, and oil is at full level. I'm stumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

I would start with a mechanical gauge to see if it varies from the electric first.The possibilties are numarous as to why the pressure has dropped.Did it drop suddenly or gradually?Or did you change to the electric gauge and then noticed it?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwin517
I purchased a 1968 327 engine that was "freshened up", new cam & lifters, HV oil pump, Edelbock intake and carb. He said the oil pump was acting funny so he returned it to Summit for an other one. Worked OK for a little while - 50 psi , 25 or so at idle. Now it has very little pressure at idle and only shows 25 at higher RPM. What are the possibility's ? I have new electric gauges, and oil is at full level. I'm stumped.
If it has good oil pressure at startup when cold and drops to very little when warm, it may be bearing clearance issues. But I would check everything else out first (gauges, electrical, etc.) before turning there. There really isn't any need for a HV oil pump on this motor. You could use a stock pump and be fine.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Oil pump

Take a look at the rear cam bearing to make sure it's installed correctly. It may be the narrow bearing and not installed far enough in the block. Been there, done that. Exact same symptoms !!!!!!!!

Ron
Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Golden
Take a look at the rear cam bearing to make sure it's installed correctly. It may be the narrow bearing and not installed far enough in the block. Been there, done that. Exact same symptoms !!!!!!!!

Ron
Ron; That is a very good, but most forgotten bit of information.

Also pull the oil filter off, and the oil filter adapter. The oil pressure relief check valve could have a piece of debris, such as silicone, or an errant piece of gasket scraping material holding it open.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 AM

Last photo:

Also can be a symptom of running a Fram oil filter.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 PM

OIl pressure problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool hero
I would start with a mechanical gauge to see if it varies from the electric first.The possibilties are numarous as to why the pressure has dropped.Did it drop suddenly or gradually?Or did you change to the electric gauge and then noticed it?
OK, I installed a mechanical gauge. When I started the engine It showed almost NO pressure. When it idled for 20-30 seconds the pressure slowly went up to 20 psi. When I rev up the engine it drops to almost zero again. The oil only came about half way up the tubing. Let it idle down, pressure goes back up to 20-25 PSI. Going to have to pull the engine because there is not enough clearance to drop it installed. Don't get why it dropa at higher RPM.
Thanks,
Larry
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Do you have a Fram oil filter on it? If so, change it to some other brand.

If not a filter problem, I'd blow out the oil galley that supplies oil to the gauge. I'll bet there is something restricting the supply of oil to the gauge.

Think of this, an engine with hydraulic lifters needs oil supply to keep the lifters pumped up. If oil pressure goes to zero for any time at all you will hear the rocker arms begin to make noise, then you will hear noise from the bottom end.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

If thats a small journal and you have a HV pump you should have plenty of pressure at any RPM, also if you have to much oil in the pan this may cause you problem.

Sounds like some thing is off with your clearances or one of the galley plugs maybe missing in back of your timing gear!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.