Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil Pump Problem???

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  riesman20 
#1 ·
I recently had probs with my mechanical fuel on my 84 GMC truck (305) pump so I installed an electric pump. The electric pump was installed with an oil pressure safety switch and a 30 amp relay. I had no power after the safety switch so I took it off and noticed there was no oil behind it, I than turned over the engine and nothing came out this open hole in the block???????????

#3 ·
I removed the oil filter and cranked it over. There is nothing there either. Where does this leave me?

Quick run down.

It was not running the greatest so I pulled it into the garage. And rebuilt the carb.
Then it would not start and I traced it to the fuel pump. The push rod was not moving at all so the cam lobe was nfg.
I installed an electric fuel pump and the oil press safety switch would not close leading me too no oil.

#6 ·
the fuel pump rod was not moving at all, definitely an internal engine problem if the motor turns and the camshaft isn't moving.only thing to think on that is the timing chain is off,u didn't do anything else to the car other than the carb? thats just strange for a chain to jump off by itself must have alot of miles on it! this is one of those things that boggles u for awhile lol.:confused:

#7 ·
I popped the cap off of the distributor and nothing was turning. Do I need a new rotor, how could this effect the oil pump. It turns over normally with bo weird sounds so I don't think the timing chain has piled up. Thanks for the responses guys, please state things that may be obvious to you but not necessarily to me. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.