Hot Rod Forum banner

oil pump shaft problem

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Blazin72 
#1 ·
This refers to a 350 sbc 1 piece seal roller block:

I have a problem with a melling oil pump shaft, metal sleeved. It is impossible to engage the distributor on the shaft while installing the distributor because the shaft seems to lean over too much and won't slide into the distributor gear no matter what i do, without putting something down into the hole to hold the shaft straight. The holes in the cap/block are too large to constrain the shaft to a vertical position. Could I be missing a piece of hardware, or could there be something wrong with the bevel angle in the gear? Has anyone had problems like this and what can I do about it?

Thanks

#2 ·
I picked up my melling high volume pump and a ARP steel sleeved drive shaft and it did not lean that much at all. And this was completely out of an engine.
Can you tell me how long your sleeve is? I will check that measurement against my ARP and we will see if anything is that much different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.