oil pump upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

oil pump upgrade

Ok I'm installing new oil pump and its 25% more volume will anything else need upgrading?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

no, but unless you have a high perf motor, i don't see why you would need a higher flow oil pump.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

The stock Melling M-55 will be all you need oil pump wise. I have a pretty "warm" 331" sbc with the M-55 and it gives me plenty of oil press. High volume/high press pumps are for race cars....besides they eat hp to turn them.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Personally I think running the stock oil pump on a hotrod motor is old school considering today's oil. We have marginal oil for flat tappet cams, we idle a lot in the rod shows and generally don't run very high rpm on the motors so not a great deal of oil is tossed around inside the motor.

I run a blown SBC. I lost a set of lifters due to my own mistake of not readjusting them soon enough. I installed a new set on the old cam along with a high volume oil pump. My thinking is that I would like higher oil pressure near idle speeds where I spend a lot of time. For example I made 14 laps of the fair grounds at Back to the 50's. 45 minutes a lap and I never touched the throttle except to park.

I can get nearly full 8 psi boost just off idle and I would like to have the OP up there when I start and not wait for the motor to get to 2000 rpm. So far I have well over 7000 miles this year on the new lifters and the cam seems very good yet. In fact I just changed the oil for the first time this year today and it was still transparent. I also cut the oil filter apart and it was in perfect condition.

To answer the question just make sure the oil pressure gage will read up to 100. On a good tight motor you should see 75+ on startup and 65 cruising. That's what I get with 10-30 oil. I also use the Lucas additive. I get 35 at 800 rpm idle hot as opposed to 20 with the stock pump
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM

It's not a very high dollar oil pump jus 10 bucks over stock..its a melling m-55hv
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The point is, a high volume oil pump is just a band aid for a engine that has excessive bearing clearances. HV oil pumps will take a considerable amount of power away from the engine to drive it. If the clearances are in spec you don`t need a HV oil pump. The stock replacement M55 works great and will give you great oil pressure as long as the clearances are good.
Sure there are other applications where one maybe needed such as heavy duty race or blown applications. But a stock or mildly hot rodded street engine and many race engines don`t require it.
My 4.3 V6 chevy that was rebuilt 2 years ago has the stock M55, it has 60 psi oil pressure cold start up, after the oil warms it never drops below 30 at idle speed of 600 RPM. At cruise speeds it`s around 40 to 45 PSI. Wide open throttle 60 psi.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

i would think twice for running a m55hv on anything but a stock engine. Melling made the castings thinner few years back and even they say its only for stock engines. they make the old design under a new part #. not sure what it is but it sells for like $70
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Melling oil pump

Beware of new Melling oil pumps. If you order a melling pump buy the SELECT model m55HV. The stock pump m55 is a redesigned pump housing that is significantly weaker and in my opinion, prone to failure. I just ran into this a few weeks ago. I ordered a Milidon Pump which is heavy duty casting. It just slays me that a leading pump manufacture like Melling would cheapen the design that worked so well. I have numerous Melling products on my parts shelf, (Melling Cams, etc), I wonder if they are skimping on these too, I now wonder about using any of their products. Makes you wonder what company you can trust anymore!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Over on the speed talk forum they are saying the lighter weaker casting has gone away and the old casting is back in production.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsvettes
Over on the speed talk forum they are saying the lighter weaker casting has gone away and the old casting is back in production.
I saw the same thing, the last weak pump was made in June 2009. Just pay attention so you don't get a remaining old stock thin neck pump.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.