Oil pumps for ford 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil pumps for ford 302

I am planning on putting a new oil pump in my 87 F150s 302 engine. However the parts store shows several different ones. Standard volume and high volume, both available with "heavy duty shaft support". And then a high pressure pump which it does not show available with heavy duty shaft support.

The question I have is, do i NEED the heavy duty shaft support? A regular standard volume pump is $22. A standard volume pump with heavy duty shaft support is $65. A BIG jump in price.

I doubt I need high volume or high pressure, but if i wanted a high volume pump with the heavy duty shaft support, that pump is even higher at a whopping $81.

Is the $22 dollar standard pump fine, or do I really need that heavy duty shaft support?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

The standard pump is great for this application
Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 AM

Last photo:

The standard pump will be fine,but always replace the shaft when installing a new pump this can also be had at Autozone stores or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-IS-68/ under $11 for the H.D. shaft.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Make sure what you buy for $22 at your local store as some are for no better words then junk. Take your time and wander the Summit and Jeg's catalogs for both the pump and the timing chain you also noted and purchase only what you need - and most, if not all Tru Roller chains are Cloyes regardless of brand name on the box. As far as the fuel pump eccentric - the '87 F150, if it has a mechanical pump instead of an in-tank electric unit(which it should have) is no big deal to change. But that's another question.

Now, that oil pump - possibly on a very high mileage engine, the high volume pump might be a choice, but usually the standard pump will produce enough oil flow and at the usual rated 50-65psig. Never a high pressure. The heavy duty drive shaft is well worth the extra few bucks - either the ARP or the Ford Racing. Oh, and a note - the 351W pump and shaft will not work in a 302/5.0.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

The $22 pump from the parts store is a Melling "M68" pump. Should be a good pump... The engine has 123k on it.

As for the chain I probably should just go with the Cloyes HD double roller set for $50. I think the Edelbrock and Comp Cams sets have to be ordered but i'm not sure. Someone else mentioned to stay away from the Edelbrock set but i'm not sure why.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Just took a peek at the Autozone website the Edelbrock 7814 timing set which is correct for your '87 at $50.99 states at the beginning of the description "made by Cloyes" order it at the store and it will be in your hands from their warehouse in less than 24 hours and you won't pay shipping.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I think I would watch out for the M68 Pump-Melling had pressure from the OEM's to "lighten" their pump (weight wise), and the castings became thinner, with a rumored switch to powdered metal gears (not good)-the powdered metal gears don't absorb impacts well, and will shatter if they get too much trash through them-

Melling has realized these problems, and in response to an outcry from the performance market, have come out with an upgraded M68 (called the M68A, or Melling Part# 10687)-basically, the casting is better, the pump housing and cover are CNC'd, the housing is phosphate coated, the Gears are upgraded and not PM-they do cost more (I just bought one for my BBC, and it was about $110.00)-

By the way, it is rumored that the new pump has about a 10% increase in volume (not pressure)-

Of course, Melling still offers their "Select" Series too-here is a litttle more on the new pump (look at Part#10687)-

http://www.mellingselectperformance....umps.aspx#Ford
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that info 35window. I had no idea. My luck id get ahold of one of those crappy pumps from the parts store. I found the 10687 at summit racing for $50 so that will probably be the pump I get. And ill look for that hardened driveshaft too that Irelands Child mentioned.

I want to do this right the first time. I don't look forward to pulling this engine. The old chevys i'm used to are no big deal. But this fuel injected ford is kinda intimidating to look at.

And Id hate to ruin a good engine by using a crappy part that fails or cut corners on something as important as an oil pump.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Heavy Duty Shaft

Is not needed in this application. Ford many years ago went with a heavy duty shaft for racing etc to prevent spark scatter on the distributor which is driven by the oil pump shaft. Standard volume and pressure is ok for daily driver cars etc. If more pressure is wanted you can shim the oil pump pressure release valve with a washer or two.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys how about the Ford Racing 302 oil pump? Its only $25 and its a ford part...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6600-M50/
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 AM

Last photo:

I'd give it

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.