Oil Pushing up thorugh breather - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Regal Beagle's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 199
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oil Pushing up thorugh breather

I was out cruising yesterday and could smell oil buring under the hood.
It appears I have oil pushing up through my breather cap on the passenger side valve cover. The oil has leaked down and onto the starter and is now starting to leak out the transmission inspection cover.
What is causing this oil to force its way out the breather?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 06:22 PM
carsavvycook's Avatar
My 2 cents worth
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lakeside, CA
Age: 58
Posts: 2,855
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What type of engine, and vehicle information? Does it smoke out of the tail pipes? Do you have a PCV valve in the left valve cover, or just a breather also? Lot's of miles, or new rebuild? More information would be of more help..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Frisco's Avatar
Glad To Be Here
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canton, North Carolina
Age: 73
Posts: 2,244
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal Beagle
I was out cruising yesterday and could smell oil buring under the hood.
It appears I have oil pushing up through my breather cap on the passenger side valve cover. The oil has leaked down and onto the starter and is now starting to leak out the transmission inspection cover.
What is causing this oil to force its way out the breather?
Additional info would help.

However, if you have a vehicle that has a PCV valve; then I would check it and the line that connects it to the intake (manifold or carb base). If the line is plugged up or the PCV valve is stuck closed; high crankcase pressure will cause oil to be forced out. One of the places would be the breather cap in the valve cover. Others could include the front and/or rear main seals.

High RPM can also cause higher than normal crankcase pressure to force oil out of the breather. Been doing any hard acceleration runs lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Regal Beagle's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 199
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
What type of engine, and vehicle information? Does it smoke out of the tail pipes? Do you have a PCV valve in the left valve cover, or just a breather also? Lot's of miles, or new rebuild? More information would be of more help..........
Its a new rebuild with about 2000 miles on it. 355 sbc, no smoke out the tail pipe at all. Just installed some new AFR 195cc heads and it is running great. Never had the engine over 4000rpm and its only a Sunday driver. Has a new pcv valve and a new breather. Vehicle is a 1985 Buick Regal with 200R4 trans.
Anything else you need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,491
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
You may try a leak done test at TDC to see if there is a ring issue.

Is there a baffle in the valve cover under the breather??

If you have the PVC system correct there should be a hose going from the valve cover to the bottom of the air cleaner there is useally a knock out there.

Was the block plate honed using the same gasket and hardware that you put on the engine??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Regal Beagle's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 199
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PCV is hooked up correct but there is no baffle in the valve cover. The covers are Edelbrock Elite Valve covers. It is not consuming any oil at all just pushing it out the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
carsavvycook's Avatar
My 2 cents worth
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lakeside, CA
Age: 58
Posts: 2,855
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal Beagle
Its a new rebuild with about 2000 miles on it. 355 sbc, no smoke out the tail pipe at all. Just installed some new AFR 195cc heads and it is running great. Never had the engine over 4000rpm and its only a Sunday driver. Has a new pcv valve and a new breather. Vehicle is a 1985 Buick Regal with 200R4 trans.
Anything else you need to know?
In answer to your question. No and thank you.

We had a power outage for a short time, while I was trying to respond, and I see Carl @ CNC has already responded with the same sugestions I had.

You have a fresh "rebuild" that is a Sunday driver. You also responded there is no baffle in the valve cover. If you removed this baffle to be able to add oil quicker, this could be your problem. The oil spray from your rockers is going to keep the breather bathed in oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Regal Beagle's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 199
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as I know there was no baffle in the valve cover.
very confused. Is there a fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM
carsavvycook's Avatar
My 2 cents worth
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lakeside, CA
Age: 58
Posts: 2,855
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you do not have a baffle in that valve cover, the only way to fix it, is to buy a new set of "tall" valve covers. These will get the PCV or breather farther away from the rockers. Make sure they have baffles.

Since the oil is getting onto the exhaust(smoking)/starter/torque converter shield(lowest part of the engine/transmission), I would also check the rear of the intake, and valve cover gasket, for leaks. Especially if it is dripping on the ground.(you have not mentioned this but I suspect it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Regal Beagle's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 199
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
If you do not have a baffle in that valve cover, the only way to fix it, is to buy a new set of "tall" valve covers. These will get the PCV or breather farther away from the rockers. Make sure they have baffles.

Since the oil is getting onto the exhaust(smoking)/starter/torque converter shield(lowest part of the engine/transmission), I would also check the rear of the intake, and valve cover gasket, for leaks. Especially if it is dripping on the ground.(you have not mentioned this but I suspect it)
I have actually gotten right up underneath the car and the breather is where I have sourced the leak to. It is leaking down from there onto the starter and into the converter cover and then onto the ground.
Why the heck did Edelbrock not put a damn baffle in thaose valve covers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
carsavvycook's Avatar
My 2 cents worth
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lakeside, CA
Age: 58
Posts: 2,855
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal Beagle
I have actually gotten right up underneath the car and the breather is where I have sourced the leak to. It is leaking down from there onto the starter and into the converter cover and then onto the ground.
Why the heck did Edelbrock not put a damn baffle in thaose valve covers?
Only God knows why. Were they "Made in China"?(don't get me started going there)

I have installed valve covers in the past, that I had to drill, and install the grommet's for the PCV and Breather, then install the baffles.(supplied)

For it to be actually dripping on the ground, I'll bet the grommet is cracked, or loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil suggestions and preferences timemachine Engine 2 05-07-2008 03:07 PM
gas prices and hotrodding ! engineman302 Hotrodders' Lounge 87 04-24-2006 09:27 AM
Where to find oil breather cap 1964 Oldsmobile 442 Engine 2 03-31-2006 12:53 AM
A little humor Kevin45 Hotrodders' Lounge 8 10-21-2004 01:47 PM
oil coming out valve breather? Brian Morency Engine 11 10-07-2004 04:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.