Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil smells like gas 85 Impala

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  85impala 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 85 Impala with a 305 and cc-qjet. I recently changed my oil about a week ago because it smelled like gas, and now it smells like gas again just not as strong as before.

I have an innovate a/f gauge that's reading around 15 so I know its not too rich. I also replaced a leaking mechanical fuel pump with the airtex brand for 16$.

What would cause the gas to mix with my oil?

Thanks,
Clint

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply
I actually did a compression test about 2 weeks ago and the whole driver side was the same @ 135psi and the passenger side was @135psi except #2 was 140.

I also can hear a faint drip right when I shut the car off, could the float bowl leak that fast after I turn the car off?

#4 ·
Q-jets are notorious for the well plugs leaking. Get the engine hot, remove the air cleaner, shut down the engine, hold the throttle full open and wait. After a little while you'll probably see a white vapor cloud coming from the carb. Leaking well plugs. Time for a rebuild.A lot of mechanics epoxy the existing well plugs but I never had any luck. They always leaked again. Here is where you can get o-ringed replacement plugs. Call them with your carb #. There is two sized plugs.
Carburetor Parts for Rochester Quadrajet, 4G, 2G & Carter AFB, AVS, Thermo-Quad Carburetors

Attachments

#6 ·
More than likely it's the fuel pump. While yes Quadrajets do leak down the majority of it evaporates when it hits the hot intake so not much makes it into the oil. In my experience in almost every case it's the fuel pump.
When you replace the pump make sure you pack the pump cavity with moly or break in lube, this will assure the pump is lubed and will do so until oil can make it's way down to the pump. After you change pumps you'll have to change the oil and filter again as if you leave it then it won't be long before it'll cause excessive wear and it'll be rebuild time.

#11 ·
I just took the SMI Quadrajet back off my truck's 4.3 V6 so I could fix the main wells. All I did was the same as I always do, remove the base plate and give each one a good smack with a hammer. Then I'll lay the carb on top of a bucket, fill the bowl with fuel then peek in to see if any fuel is dripping out. In every case I've did this thus far it's solved the problem. The SMI Quadrajet I have had the main wells epoxied but they still leaked so I used a wire brush to remove it then gave'em a smack with a hammer to seal them off.

#14 ·
Ok so I have a 86 olds cc-qjet I found in the garage, I'm going to do a quick rebuild, make sure everything is sealed up real nice then grab a banjo inlet and switch out the base plates because the throttle linkage is different.

Hopefully this will work but it's going to be a week or so before the banjo inlet and air horn gasket arrive in the mail :(

#15 ·
I got everything in the mail and switched the carb.. when I pulled the carb the intake seemed dry and so did the fuel line and inlet. What was weird is the float bowl was dry and the needle was seated but I could still blow a tiny tiny bit of air through the inlet.(on the old carb)

Now I have to do an oil change and bend the fuel line so it can reach the banjo inlet

Thanks again everybody for all your help, I'll update soon once she's running :D

#16 ·
ok so im almost there, i changed the oil but came across a little problem, the fuel line is basically wedged in between the water pump arm and timing cover so i cant pull it back to reach the inlet.

its just a little too far forward and to the pass. side and i cant figure out how im supposed to bend it. i posted pics too, sorry if their really big

:smash:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.