oil on sparkplugs on sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

oil on sparkplugs on sbc

im wondering if anyone can help with some advice???? i have a 360 sbc with under 3000 miles. i have dart pro1 200cc heads, vic jr high rise intake, 750 holley hp carb. im having a issue with the spark plugs fouling within 2 weeks, im experincing backfire on high rpm's and on 3rd gear. occasionally i'll hear it on 2nd gear around 6000. i pulled the plugs out and replaced them and what i found was 1 & 3 had oil on them, the rest looked a little lean but not by much. when i put the new ones in, it ran like when it does 11.90's. but then a couple of weeks go by and the same issue. i have no oil leaks from the valve covers and i have a evac system on them. i do notice a drop in oil, but a quart every 2 months or so (and its a daily driver) i was suspecting that it might be a intake issue, but i have no cooling problems or any trace of chocolate milk in the oil. any help or advice will be appreciated, thanks
if any questions to help, feel free to ask

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM

intake gasket, leak,not quite in tune, driving at low rpm with bigger cam,rings not sealing,

what are the plugs gapped to? is it an MSD or equivalent ignition,,,,,
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Sorry i knew i forgot something, i have a hei dist and plugs are gapped at 45, i have used the recommended cold plug dart has on thier heads, but i have seen better runs with 2 step hotter plugs and have used the current plugs for a while. I was thinking about the rings, but since its kinda still a fresh engine, im hoping thats not it
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
I'd bet Vinnie nailed it with intake gaskets. If the heads and intake manifold are not parallel in X and Y, there is a possibility of the intake gasket(s) not sealing on the bottom of one or more intake ports and allowing the motor to suck in oily crankcase vapors when the intake valve opens. Remove the intake manifold and inspect very closely for all ports being pinched the same thickness all the way around each port.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM

I think thats correct and makes sense, im using felpro 1205 which dart recommends, but i always thought they were too thin, are there any you guys would recommend that are better or thicker?? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Ok quick update, i replaced the intake gaskets and saw the inner ports had oil saturated in it. I let it sit for better part of the day. I took it out for a spin and first thing i noticed was there used to be a mild smell of gas, and i noticed it gone. It had a little bit of backfire, but then it slowly went away. Im going to give it a good run tomorrow and see how the plugs come out
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM

also you dont need to run the plugs over 040 gap and hei stock is not going to be good enough over 5,000 rpm.Let us know how she runs tomorrow,good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Ok guys heres a update, i finally got around to testing it due to work, i checked all the plugs again and found all if them were burning nicely, except for 1 & 3 had slight trace of oil, but not like it used to be. I also lowered the gap to 40 As recommended. The test drive felt AWESOME!!! I dropped the timing to 38 total at 3000k. IT ran real well, so im going to give it a week and re-check the plugs. Thanks for all the advice guys
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM

Ok guys heres a update, i finally got around to testing it due to work, i checked all the plugs again and found all if them were burning nicely, except for 1 & 3 had slight trace of oil, but not like it used to be. I also lowered the gap to 40 As recommended. The test drive felt AWESOME!!! I dropped the timing to 38 total at 3000k. IT ran real well, so im going to give it a week and re-check the plugs. Thanks for all the advice guys

Tags
sbc oil on sparkplugs

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.