Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil temperature gauge

930 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  56Maynard 
#1 ·
I have a mechanical oil temp gauge, where can I find a place for the probe? The setup I have behind the dist for the oil pressure sender is almost impossible to get to,without moving the engine, is there anywhere else I could use to put the probe?

#2 ·
Oil Sender

Doc here, :pimp:

What Type/Year engine are we dealing with here?

What ever hook up you find you want the Bourdon Tube in the moving pressure stream, not a static spot, (like a large tee) If it is to be accurate.

Moving liquid is hotter than static liquid. AND you run the possibility of an air bubble settling in an extended TEE hook up...(something that resembles Mr Peabody's wayback machine.. :D )

I usually do the following, Install the temp probe first then the Pressure sender, if a tee is to be used..This way the Temp is Closer to the moving stream and the pressure sender verifies that moving oil is present (behind the temp sender.)

So wherever you tap it use the smallest Tee you can get away with If your going to parallel the hookup.

Let us know what year/type engine this is and maybe we can help you locate a better spot.

Doc :pimp:

#4 ·
Would be a good use of one of the adapters that are used on the late model 350`s for an oil cooler setup...? Instead of using the lines for cooling you could loop it and put a fitting inline to install your sensor...?

Or possibly just plug one line hole and use the other with an adapter in the other...? Just have to determine the pressure side for the stream of hot oil...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.