Oil to top end (passenger side) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: The '85 Monte Carlo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil to top end (passenger side)

I have a 72 SB 350. The engine is basically stock on the bottom end except for flat top pistons. I am having a problem with getting oil to the top end on the passenger side. While priming I got 30psi. The top end was slowly getting oil to all the rockers so we put the engine in. I get about 15psi when running and it goes up normally with higher rpm's. I took the timing cover off to see if all the galley plugs were in place. They are all there. I used a type of sealer and peened the plugs so they wouldn't come out. I them took the pan off to check for any major leakages. We hooked up the primer and used a pail so the pump would suck up the oil. We get about 30psi and when the oil returns it seems to come down a lot by the rear main cap. All the bearings look to be getting oil. I took the rear main cap off and don't find any problems with that. I then took off the intake to see if a lifter may have came out off a bore. The lifters are all there and are all pumped up. Does anybody know something that I missed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 PM
79 El Camino

Last journal entry: Trans attached
Last photo:

The oil running down the back could be coming from around the distributor shaft. You might pull a lifter on the right side and one from the left and manually run up the oil pressure (with the proper shaft to allow pressure to build) and see if the oil gallery is plugged. How bad is the problem and how did you discover it (what happened)?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

The engine basically ticks loadly on the passenger side. My instructor at the college suggested that I take the timing cover off first to make sure I had all the galley plugs in. I did and then reassembled it then he had me pull the pan (glad we have lifts). We decided to to prime the system with the oil pan off. In place of the pan we used a coffee can and that's how we figured that the oil seemed to be draing back really fast by the rear main cap. The only thing I can think of is that something must be plugged. We changed the oil pump and checked over everything. The motor was just rebuilt it hasn't been ran very long only for the cam break-in.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:41 PM
79 El Camino

Last photo:

Oil returning at the back of the block is likely from around the distributor shaft. It has a groove that directs oil around the shaft and pressurizes the lifter galleries. Some distributors have o-rings here, some don't. If yours is stock, it will pass some oil. This is normal if not excessive and if it does not cause a loss of pressure. Are the lifters were new on a new cam? If not, have they been removed and reinstalled? A tick does not necessarily mean lack of lubrication (although it does not exclude it either). A plugged or mis-adjusted lifter could do the same thing. Does it sound like 1 bad lifter or ALL of the lifters on the right side? Pull some exhaust rockers on the right side and check the rocker fulcrum and the ball. If they look like they are worn or have overheated (discolored), then you probably have an oil problem. All you need to open up is the valve cover for this check...
Old 04-30-2005, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

We had the engine running with the valve cover off and there was no oil up top on the pass. side. Where would an o-ring be located on the distributor shaft?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:09 PM
It just takes time and money

Last journal entry: Specifications
Last photo:

LT1Body,
When you rebuilt the motor, did you install the oil journal plug, under the rear main cap?
Bob
Old 04-30-2005, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngliaBob
LT1Body,
When you rebuilt the motor, did you install the oil journal plug, under the rear main cap?
Bob
I agree with this , and check your Dist or try another it may have a loose fit in the oil passages? I have seen this with the New overseas HEIs.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:00 PM
79 El Camino

Last photo:

If it were the distributor, there would probably be no oil on either side at the top. I would guess that the gallery is plugged near the distributor shaft. Pulling lifters and priming the system should squirt oil out the holes in the side of the lifter bosses. Pull one at a time from the back on each side to see where the oil flow stops. If there is oil on the left and none on the right, the only answer I can see is a plugged passage between the distributor shaft and the rearmost lifter on the right side.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:00 PM

On my new 357sbc I have 15-20psi at idle and then around 50 at 2,000 rpm. I have heard from a lot of big time engine builders that oil pressure at idle doesn't need to be over 15-20. I have a buddy with a 9 sec camaro and he has literally about 10psi at idle. But you do have a prob if ur not getting oil to all of the top end. At idle w/ 15psi I still get a good amount of oil to the top end on both sides. Depending o nthe break in a lifter could have collapsed or the machine shop did not install all of your plugs correctly, like the others said.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

all my oil gallley plugs are in I checked the one under the cap too. I'm now going to start pulling lifters and se if maybe a cam bearing is not seated properly or has spun out. I did have a problem earlier on before I started the motor. The engine would make a loud squeeking noise from the front of the block and I couldn't turn the thing by hand. even eith the plugs out. That's why I'm going to check the cam bearings. I never had the engine machined and I double checked the distributor height in relation to how for it sits in the block. The oil galley there is not being blocked by dist.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:03 AM

When priming you should have system pressure at operating RPM range of the motor, in other words max pressure the system will produce. 30 PSI is way too low and I agree to check the oil journal plug was installed. You'd REALLY have to have loose cam bearing clearance to not build oil pressure.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

I called a local machine shop about this issue. I asked him if a cam bearing could be not seated correctly. He said that often times people believe thay have put the 5th cam bearing in all the way but it really isn't he said if it wasn't in all the way it would have a similar problem to what I have. I checked the cam bearing by using a mirroran light and checking to see if oil comes out near the bearing. We pressurized the system through the oil pressure sending unit hole and found that the oil looks to be coming from the bearing. The bearing also looks like it is about an 8th of an inch out towards the front of the engine. I will pull the motor and tap the cam bearing in further and hope this is my problem.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I am with the problem prolly being the distributor being too small to seal the bore to provide oil to the passenger side lifter bank. The cam bearing mis-installation could also very much be the problem, although I would think that it would affect both sides.

tom
Old 05-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Hopefully you have enough room to insert your driver to the #5 bearing from the front. If not, maybe you can slide hammer from the back. My tool if you can fit your driver into the cam area after you insert the rod you'll be miles ahead.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.