Oil to use during break-in period. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil to use during break-in period.

I have already put about 500 miles on this new 383 stroker. I have used Castrol GTX 20-50 oil. I know I have to stay away from syntech. oil for now. But Is there a type of oil to use during this period..I am to make an oil change now and would like to use the right oil. As far as brand is concerned I am in a small town with limited choice..I've used Castrol GTX. I went with the 20-50 from the builder suggestion but he might have thought I was a Heavy on the throttle wich I am not. The car is always sleeping under heathed garage so cold start up is not a concen. My 180 stat and alum. rad keeps the temp always traveling between 165 and 185..I guess when it opens cooler water (165) rush in from the very effective rad and cool it off till few minutes pass then reaching 185 starts to open.

I hope I haven't made a real bad choice as oil is concerned.
thanks,Ron.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

20,50 seems a lot heavy, 10 ,30 is good , but i'm no engine builder, wait for some more guys advice on oil before changing
Old 10-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Cheap house brand 30wt for the intial run in and and 5w20-10w30 depending on the bearing clearance.

Larry
Old 10-28-2005, 05:11 PM
26 modified

a 10w30 oil, will probably be best if your new engine has normal clearances.
i wouldn't use anything heavier with your colder temp thermostat.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:00 PM

I Break Mine In On Mobil REGULAR (Not Synthetic) 10/30. After Break In I Run Mobil 1 Synthetic 10/30. Also Like Valvoline And Royal Purple. Northern Auto Parts -Sioux City Iowa (Lonnie) Will Ship Royal Purple To Your Address.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:24 AM

Last photo:

it's possible the builder suggested 20/50 to minimize new rings oil blow-by while the bare scored cylinder walls wear in = minimize cylinder head carbon build up= minimize possible detonation

but....the thicker (bigger/longer 50W molecules) slower flowing oil can't easily get between the new tight tolerance high load bearing sufaces like the crank bearings

the good news is.....the 20/50 does have smaller 20W size molecules (its a blend of 20 and 50) and some smaller 5W,and 10W molecules for tight tolerances because they can't refine it perfect so you probably didn't hurt anything. Synthetic oil was developed to solves this, every molecule is a 20W or 50W size molecule

don't buy by brand, buy by the ASE label tested approval rating on the back of the bottle, 10/30W is fine for normal tolerances bearings break in. I've forgotten the current highest/most refined/most modifiers rating (SJ ?) is for normal oil which is "turbo approved" because most new hipo motors (Corvette etc.) call for Synthetic
Old 10-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

You definitely have a bad thermostat. Your temperature should not vary more than 5* on the thermostat. Install a 195* high-flow. 180 is toooooo cold. The major temperature variations indicate that the radiator is quite efficient at your ambient temperature.

I would think 10-30 oil is better. I don't have a clue why he suggested 20-50. That is very thick for new tolerances, as mentioned above, that oil might be too thick to get up in the nooks and crannies where it needs to get by splashing. If it won't run safely with 5-30 then it is too loose.

Oil is for cooling too. If it is too thick and can't get to the surfaces, they will stay too hot and too dry. This is a major cause of glazed cylinder walls.... thinner oil is better.

I would consider an oil warmer/cooler = a heat exchanger between the oil filter and the block that has the heater hose water running through it... Like the high performance police cars use. It warms the oil when it is cold, and cools the oil when it gets hot. It usually maintains about the ideal 225* pan temperature. I use them on everything. I pick them up at the junk yards for $ 5 each.

Police cars idle a lot and don't get the oil hot enough, and then when they chase... it gets really hot.... sounds like us hot rodders.. eh?

You have already done 500 miles. What's done is done.

IMO GTX is problem oil. 90% of what I have seen of it is bad. I wouldn't run it if it were free and you did the oil change for me.

x

www.readershotrods.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.