Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Which oil viscosity?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRoy1978
The VR-1 is a rip off, did a lot of reaserch in it, and it only has a tiny bit more additives. Not worth the price for what they are sayting they are selling. They do make a VR-1 thats an actual race oil, its in a black bottle and has to be special ordered. Completely different blend than their silver bottle VR-1, even smells different! And is cheaper, about 4 bucks a quart compared to 7-9 a quart for the silver bottle. But, is not street legal since it has enough zinc to clog your cat. converters.

If your worried about using something for better wear protection, try diesel engine oil. Rotella, Mystic...stuff like that. Hot Rod tested lots of oils, and the diesel oils came out near the top...even against great "race" oils.

I use mystic, blended synthetic, in my street cars. Works great, usually 10w30.

For my racecar I run Brad Penn 20w 50, but would rather use 10w30.
Why is VR-1 (silver bottle) a rip off?

Valvoline conventional oil has 0.083/0.076 Z/P.

Valvoline VR-1 (silver bottle) has 0.13/0.12 Z/P, and enough detergent for street use.

Valvoline Not Street Legal (black bottle) has 0.14/0.13 Z/P and not enough detergents for street use, according to Valvoline.

Do you have different numbers? If so, where did you obtain them?

I fail to see where there is a rip off.