Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Which oil viscosity? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/oil-viscosity-192838.html)

Madmax305 02-17-2011 10:04 AM

Which oil viscosity?

Hey guys I need some suggestions about which oil viscosity is best for my SBC 350. It has a hyd flat tappet comp 270 magnum cam. I will be using VALVOLINE VR-1 RACING MOTOR OIL because of the extra additives for flat tappet cams. Should I use 10w-30 or 20w-50 weight? I live in Southern California so the temps are pretty warm here, even during the winter. :confused:

BigRoy1978 02-18-2011 02:27 PM

The VR-1 is a rip off, did a lot of reaserch in it, and it only has a tiny bit more additives. Not worth the price for what they are sayting they are selling. They do make a VR-1 thats an actual race oil, its in a black bottle and has to be special ordered. Completely different blend than their silver bottle VR-1, even smells different! And is cheaper, about 4 bucks a quart compared to 7-9 a quart for the silver bottle. But, is not street legal since it has enough zinc to clog your cat. converters.

If your worried about using something for better wear protection, try diesel engine oil. Rotella, Mystic...stuff like that. Hot Rod tested lots of oils, and the diesel oils came out near the top...even against great "race" oils.

I use mystic, blended synthetic, in my street cars. Works great, usually 10w30.

For my racecar I run Brad Penn 20w 50, but would rather use 10w30.

spinn 02-18-2011 03:59 PM

Tell us about the build, a Magnum 270 cam is very good. Few cams that stood the test of time, that got it right the first time.

10w40 if the temp stays about 35-40. The 5w30 in the winter.

small tip,

With 6 quart pans after barak in , add a quart of mobil 1 synthetic , 5 of the petro oil. The Mobil 1 synthetic is good stuff, after trying many different cutter oils on my lathe. Metal pressing to metal with tons of pressure, mobil 1 gets it done. The synthetic mixes well with into the other similar viscocities.

glen242 02-18-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRoy1978
The VR-1 is a rip off, did a lot of reaserch in it, and it only has a tiny bit more additives. Not worth the price for what they are sayting they are selling. They do make a VR-1 thats an actual race oil, its in a black bottle and has to be special ordered. Completely different blend than their silver bottle VR-1, even smells different! And is cheaper, about 4 bucks a quart compared to 7-9 a quart for the silver bottle. But, is not street legal since it has enough zinc to clog your cat. converters.

If your worried about using something for better wear protection, try diesel engine oil. Rotella, Mystic...stuff like that. Hot Rod tested lots of oils, and the diesel oils came out near the top...even against great "race" oils.

I use mystic, blended synthetic, in my street cars. Works great, usually 10w30.

For my racecar I run Brad Penn 20w 50, but would rather use 10w30.

Why is VR-1 (silver bottle) a rip off?

Valvoline conventional oil has 0.083/0.076 Z/P.

Valvoline VR-1 (silver bottle) has 0.13/0.12 Z/P, and enough detergent for street use.

Valvoline Not Street Legal (black bottle) has 0.14/0.13 Z/P and not enough detergents for street use, according to Valvoline.

Do you have different numbers? If so, where did you obtain them?

I fail to see where there is a rip off.

BigRoy1978 02-18-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glen242
Why is VR-1 (silver bottle) a rip off?

Valvoline conventional oil has 0.083/0.076 Z/P.

Valvoline VR-1 (silver bottle) has 0.13/0.12 Z/P, and enough detergent for street use.

Valvoline Not Street Legal (black bottle) has 0.14/0.13 Z/P and not enough detergents for street use, according to Valvoline.

Do you have different numbers? If so, where did you obtain them?

I fail to see where there is a rip off.

Cause they put VR1 RACING OIL all big on the bottle, put all this advertising and charge stupid money for it. The last bottle I bought was like $7.50 a quart for this "racing oil".

Their black bottle, which has more additive and such only sells for $4.50 a bottle and is actual racing oil.

Just "good" marketing by valvoline i guess.