Oiling Bare Metal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oiling Bare Metal

This has probably been covered on here before. I did a search and came up empty handed. I'm going to paint my car next spring. That is a long time away. With all the spare time I have this winter could I d/a my car and then put a thin coat of oil on it to prevent rusting? I have saw bare patch panels with oil on them. If I can do this what oil would be better? Would a wax and grease remover take it all off before painting? Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
Danny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Last photo:

No way would I put oil on a bare metal car that at some point will be painted. You can never be sure that you have removed it all before you start applying expensive painting materials. If you want the bare metal protected for some time apply an epoxy primer, or just wait until you can really get at the body properly.

Vince
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If I have to leave a panel bare for any length of time I wipe it down with Metal Ready...
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=177
This stuff will leave a protective zinc phosphate coating and, if the panel isn't sitting outside, it will keep surface rust from forming for quite a while. It also removes surface rust very well with a light scrubbing with a ScotchBrite pad.
Mark
Old 11-09-2005, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

I guess it would be better to just wait. Man it is going to be a long winter.

Danny
Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

It can be done. You can oil down bare metal for storage if the piece can be cleaned properly when you're ready to work on it. I've used sheetmetal in the past that was coated with cosmoline and similar products for storage and had no problems. As an example-some bare galvanized GM bumpers came shipped with an oily coating. Clean it very well though! Some of the spray on engine degreasers followed by a water wash can work well for a preliminary wash, followed by wax and grease remover.

I agree with 302 though, you're much better off just putting the parts in epoxy and avoid the pain of removing any oil type coatings.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:

Gibbs Brand is a very nice product for keeping metals oiled. Talk to Dave...

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 11-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Gibbs-It sure is pricey though unless you're buying 6 or 12. Definately looks like a nice product.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Another vote for an epoxy sealer. You can apply body filler over the epoxy when you are ready to pick up where you left off. You can shoot epoxy out side in your driveway as long as you aren't somewhere that the neighbors might see it when you do.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:13 PM

With so many good products out there for protecting metal, I wouldn't oil anything that needs to be painted later. I use Picklex 20 for all my unpainted metal, even if I'm going to paint the piece the next day or next year. I then shoot epoxy primer on metal treated with this stuff. I've stored steel unpainted and treated with Picklex for over 2 years with no flash rust. Picklex 20

Rich
Old 11-18-2005, 03:35 PM

I like the Gibbs, The cans have a great nozzle, you can put out the smallest drop, or a heavy spray. One can would do a whole car. plus it works on so many other things. I do buy it by the case.... great stuff....

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
Jdee
Old 11-18-2005, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

roll on primer

Hi,
I am doing about what you are. One panel at a time. I posted what I was doing on this site and someone recommended a roll on primer. I found one. PPG 1060. Some paint shops are using the stuff if the booth is full and they need to start one. It requires a special roller and you must prep the surface with a degreaser. I think is was PPG330. The only thing I have not found out if you can put filler over it or need to take it down to bare metal first. I found this stuff at Finish Master. They might be nation wide chain. I have not got my primer yet so I don't know how it works.
Walt

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.