Ok fellas you talked me out of the 416 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok fellas you talked me out of the 416 heads

My first post on here started a little bit of a heated discussion about 416 heads. After reading everyone's input, I decided not to use them. A little update on what I have going now. I still only have a 2 bolt main block, but for $20 for a complete good shortblock, I couldn't argue with it. Now, I did a little digging around in the garage and found a good set of forged aluminum .20 over flat tops. I'm now debating on what rods to go with. A few people have tried talking me into eagle SIR rods, but I've heard some horror stories with them. I was considering getting a set of ARP bolts and using the stock rods and crank. I don't plan on turning this motor over 6,200. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Stock Chevy cranks and rods are good to go 6,500. ARP rod bolts are a good idea for extra insurance. Not sure what your overall goals and build is, but I would think aftermarket rods to handle 6,200 RPM is expensive and overkill. Happy motoring.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

Purists... please don't skin me. But this sbc is finding a home in a Foxbody along with a powerglide. (aka my 83 t-bird turbocoupe). I ordered the k-member from Jegs a few hours ago, and I already have a set of headers from a sbc pinto. If those don't work I'll mod them. It's going to be a drag car that will never see the highway. I'm shooting for 400hp maybe a tad more. I'm just getting into the driving part of racing, but I've been around engine building and racing in general for a while. I also decided to go with E85 for this motor. Now most people ask me why, It's so I don't have to worry as much about detonation for one. Second, there are 3 different stations that sell it close to me, and third, I want to try it out.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If running e85 get your compression up to about 13:1. And id be thinking about a th350 trans and don't be afraid of a lot of stall, if you're revving to 6200 then a 4600 or so stall would be about right with a th350.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:48 AM

Last photo:

Well guys, I got my K member today, turns out, Jegs forgot there are other fox bodies besides a mustang, so their "fox body" conversion K member was no where close to fitting in my bird. So now I'm getting some motor plates.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.