Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Well, just went out and my bow is 20 1/2" using the C version of measurement that you guys laid out for me. If it's B center to center it's 20 7/8". This is with the bow back from the second to the rear bow just as GM says at 17 5/8"

Anyway, I pulled out the goodies from the boxes I have been storing for 10-18 years. The pads look fine.

The windows, not so much. DAMN IT. One is in perfect condition but it has no side "skirts" on it. I guess it was a cheaper one. The window is sown in on this one.

The other one looks like much higher quality with a large skirt on the end, the plastic is bonded to the side some how on this one.

But alas, the damn window is all stained from being rolled up in storage, CRAP.

So tell me, is this top usable? It sure seems like it has shrunk. The following photos are with the front of the top clamped to the front bow as shown.

This is how wrinkled the top is, VERY bad, it has to be a lot shorter because of this. I left it sitting there to warm up tomorrow in the garage (it will be as hot as a two dollar pistol in there!). I am thinking it will flatten out a lot.

With just a gentle tug this is where the top looks like it ends up at the rear. This is just a gentle tug with the top all wrinkled as shown in the last photo. So I am thinking I can get another inch or two out of it easy.

What do you think, is this top savable? And where is a good place to buy a new rear window. Or top for that matter if I need one.

Brian