Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
The top should be O.K., but the rear curtain is a question mark. I would hang both of them in the warm garage and see what happens. You can't go any further with the top until the new pads are in place and the rear curtain is installed correctly.

Brian: You are driving yourself crazy with this. Don't agonize so much over tiny little details. The original top was put in by somebody who could have cared less how it turned out.
Thanks Dan, and John. This is so far out of my world. The funny thing is I would cut the rear body and quarter and floor with rails out of a 2012 Mercedes and not break a sweat, this top has just kicked my butt, because it is something way out of my world.

But getting that top up there has demystifed it further, it is getting more and more in my world and I figure at the very least if this top gets screwed up I get another and do it again. But I have a feeling it will be just fine. On the rear curtain, something hit me, I can cut the "tails" what ever they are called off the one with the messed up window and put them on the other one, can't I? Or just get a new rear window, they don't cost that much. It just kills me because the one with the messed up window looks to be much better quality. You can see in that one photo that the window is terribly stained. I tried to see if it would clean but there is no hope.

I went out this morning before taking off for work and got the old top and pads out and I can put them up there just to make me feel better about the whole thing too. Funny thing is, I will bet this will be a lot better than it was and I drove it like that for years.

Brian