Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Ok, let me get this straight, you grind this piece flush that is sticking out of the gun?

I would have never thought of this in a million years! How could this be "shimmed", pull it apart and I will see?

Here is the "wire" I think it's called is what I got for the front and the back. I will be looking into the stuff you are showing Dan, my top didn't have that, it had the same as the new stuff I got with the top.

So those strips of vinyl that came with the top are for if I don't want to use this pre-made stuff and I want to rap the original plastic tube like stuff, is that correct?

Brian
The picture you posted is of the wire-on that covers the seam on the rear bow. That is only decorative, and has two little chrome ends to cover up the raw edges on each side. It does not go on the front header next to the windshield.

The header welt is decorative too, but it also fills any gaps between the front header of the top and the windshield frame. The extra fabric gets sewn around whatever you decide to use there. The way the plastic extrusion works is you cover the entire extrusion which is about 2" wide with the larger of the two pieces of fabric you got with the top. There should be enough fabric to leave a flap. You turn back the fabric flap to staple (or in my case it was tacked down) the plastic of the extrusion to the header, and then when the whole thing is in place, you glue the fabric flap down to cover your staples or tacks. The first two pictures are of the assembly upside down. The third picture is what it should look like after stapling and gluing. The last picture is the assembly right side up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	66203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	66204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	66205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349_1.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	66206  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.