Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Thanks Gringo, I am going to look at it tonight with those ideas in my head and see what I can do.

Brian
Hi Folks,

I've just read this entire thread and it has been a very helpful experience. I got here because I am redoing the top on a 71 Chevelle convertible and I ran into a problem.

Brian - just like you, I was confused about rear bow height. I measured mine 100 times and found out that mine is 1 inch off. It should be 20.5 inches, but it is 21.5 inches. This is both before and after taking off a working and fitting (but VERY dirty) top off. I still have the pads on so nothing's moved at this point. Take a look at the first picture to see the measurement...

Anyhow, I figured I would just "fix" that little problem. But then, I measured the "inter-bow" spacing. It is the spacing between the rear upper bow and the next bow forward. On my car, according to GM, it should be 18.5 inches. And it is!!! But only with the rear bow height set "wrong". Any before you ask, yes, the old top fit well and worked well - it was really badly stained by the previous owner, though.

So here's the question - Do I move the rear bow and mess up the inter-bow spacing? Or do I keep things the way they were and figure the previous top installer knew something I don't???

I'd really appreciate any help you guys have!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowheight_p.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	67190   Click image for larger version

Name:	interbow_p.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	67191