Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Brian - thank you for the info. I think you might be right, judging by Dan's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes View Post
I see you're measuring with the rear curtain off. Did you measure the bow height of the old top before you took off the top and rear curtain? 20 1/2" is the correct bow height for your Chevelle, but if the old top fit correctly with the frame like it is now, leave the entire set-up alone. If the old pads are still good, just leave them alone also. Just make sure that the seam across the back of the top, if there is one, sits in the middle of the rear bow so it can be covered by the wire-on. In other words, don't change anything unless your new top doesn't fit with the old rear bow height.

Don't let the science of installing the top (the measurements) get in the way of the art of installing the top (adjusting the top to make it look good), and vice versa. Does that statement make any sense to you?

Hi Dan - Thanks so much for the quick and clear response. Yes, I did measure it before I took the curtain or top off. I have a picture of that somewhere, but I can't find it. Regardless, I remember thinking "21 1/2, it is perfect". That's right, I guess I misread the info because this whole time I was thinking 21 1/2 was right.

I can't reuse the pads - they look terrible, but are still intact. I removed one side completely, just to see how things looked, but I have a homemade GM spacer stick holding it. Well, last night while trying to get more measurements, I knocked the spacer loose and realized that the rear bow is at its forward stop... Is that a very bad thing? I just put the spacer back in and I hope everything is ok - the other side's pad is still in place and the spacer is still locked in size.

About the interbow spacing - is it measured from the rolled edge of the rear bow to the middle of the next bow? I attached another measuring picture in case it isn't clear. That's the rear bow and my previous post has the distance to the next one.

Sorry for more stupid questions, but I am pretty determined to get this setup myself.

Thanks again!
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interbow2_p.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	67192