Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
I had the trim stick out 12-15 times I believe. One of the mistakes I made was making too many adjustments so I kinda lost where I was. I found that if I removed the trim stick and made one or two adjustments then put it back in only bolting it with the center bolt and the two end ones as in the drawing I could put it in and remove it so much easier. It really started jumping ahead when I did this, wham one side was done and I move to the other side and it was done lickity split, That area marked with the number 1 I found to be the where to start. Get that area right so way down in the corner and up edge of the top from that last bolt way in the corner up to the rear bow was nice, THAT was the most challenging. Then once that was done the side where it meets up with the quarter from the rear corner up to the quarter glass was a piece of cake. I was trying to do it all at once, I just couldn't. by breaking it down into sections it worked came along MUCH easier.

Then the wrinkles in that side came out by pulling the top forward on the sail panels to where it goes to the top iron and the rubber window seal holds it on. By pulling the top into place there, most of the wrinkles I had disappeared.

I went from this..

To this. with that simple pull on the top with my hand.

Now, getting it to stay in that place wasn't easy, getting that screw in there was a MUTHA. But i used a quality screw driver and large headed screw and stuck the screw on the driver so it would stay there while I was pulling with my left hand I was able to spear the vinyl with the screw and get it started in the hole.

I did strip out a few of the bolt holes holding the trim stick in, I moved up from a 1/4" to 5/16" and moved on with life. I am thinking if I were to do it over I would have put nut-serts in those holes and used regular bolts, that would have been sweet. But it all worked out.

Also, DO NOT use any bolts not a fraction of an inch longer than those that were there, the quarter panel is DANGEROUSLY close to that area and a little longer bolt could go out there and dent the quarter!

I also made little rubber washer/seals for the trim stick. The last time I installed it I sprayed trim adhesive on them and stuck them to the body before I installed the trim stick so those holes would be sealed from water.

I made them during a ball game.

Brian