Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Brian,

I like the plan with using the ball game to take care of the tedious cutting and whatnot. By 71, they were using a single piece floating trim stick, so mine bolts in with only 2 bolts. Having said that, getting it in and out of the body is a #$@)! pain!

So I am attaching my progress... Please don't laugh too hard - it is slowly getting better. The trick you talked about with just focusing on one side first is definitely key to this process. Like you, I was constantly trying to do both sides at once and it was driving me nuts. Today I got the passenger's side setup correctly, I think, because it actually started to look like it was supposed to be there.

Anyway, please have a look at the pics. You'll see the fabric "lump" that I was talking about. It wants to sit in front of the rear bow. I put some notes on the pictures.

I am almost tempted to clamp down the material to the front bow and see if I can just "stretch" the lump out... The rear valance vertical seams are already stretched, so I doubt it would go away.

1) Do you think the "lump" of fabric should be in front of or over top of the bow? Over top would be REALLY hard because there would be almost no top fabric at the front bow and I don't think the listing for the second one would be anywhere close to that second bow...

2) Do you think that lump will stretch out over time if I were to just staple it down?

Any help or ideas appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	67589   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	67590   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_3.jpg