Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Dan,

The car is a 1971 Chevelle. I have used the old top to get markings from, but it is not in the greatest shape. Plus, I don't think it was well-installed to begin with.

Here's my current progress - I decided to tighten the front bow up a bit with some spring clamps:

After that, here's the passenger's side:

Driver's side (you can see the lump of fabric that still hasn't gone away completely, circled):

A wrinkle I am pretty concerned about:

And my biggest concern - a strange GAP that shows up if I tighten the main top to the header bow (using spring clamps):

So I have two major questions at this point:

1) When you say the top has to be installed from back to front, does that mean I MUST staple through the top into the rear bow before proceeding to the header bow? I was hoping to staple the rear bow only once I am sure things are going to fit and line up correctly.

2) What do you think of that GAP I showed in the picture? It seems to be on both sides (equally) depending on how tight I make it. I think that when I tighten the front of the main top so much, the rear bow doesn't pull the curtain all the way forward and the gap grows... Would this eventually work itself out???

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_9.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	67611   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_10.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	27.7 KB