Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I have a couple questions. Is your rear bow set corectly? It's hard to tell by pics but looks to me like it should be leaned ahead an inch or so. Are you sure the pads are in correct place? That one pics shows pad clear to bottom of rear bow. The bottom of pads are usually up 5 or 6 inches up from the end of rear bow. That gap is probably because the clamps are holding the top up a bit and not letting window pull tight. Put a few staples under where you have the clamps. Latch top down and see if window pulls tight if not tighten up pads. With a glass window the pads have to be very tight because they are heavy.
Hi Gringo - Funny you should mention that. I got started in this thread because I noticed that my rear bow was too far forward! After talking with Dan, though, I discovered that I am probably ok as the old top fit on this way and was pretty much the same overall size and measurements. According to the measurements, it is still a little bit farther forward than it should be, though the weight of the curtain did pull it back a little. Last time I measured, I was about 1/4" off towards the front.

I don't know what you mean by "shows pad clear to the bottom of the bow". I had the rear bow locked into place using the GM-style spacer sticks when I put the pads in place. They match up with the old pads in terms of where they lined up and I cut them off just rearward of the last bow. On the sides, they drop down part of the way, but not down the the belt line or anything.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of where the pads reach down on the sides so you can at least kinda see what I mean.

Thanks again! I really hope I can get this thing looking good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_13.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	67616   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_bump_14.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	67617