Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,077 Times in 960 Posts
That was one mistake that I made, and it was only one staple, almost screwed the whole thing up. I put one staple over the center of the rear window into the rear bow and then a couple on each side at the end of the bow. I did all my side rear top stuff and it was all looking so good and then went and snugged up the front at the header a little more (moved it forward about a quarter inch). It all looked good but I hadn't gotten to stapling the top to the bow or adding the wire-on. I went out to the garage and saw that the center staple had pulled thru the top! The hole was dangerously close to hanging off the front of the bow!!!!

Yesterday I put it out in the sun and left if for a while then pulled the top back stapling it all the way across. It seems to be fine as the top clamps down nice and it isn't stretching it too much.

That was almost a serious screwup!

I know one thing, I looked at maybe 35 or more similar make model and year convertible tops yesterday at the Goodguys and my top is average among them. It is not one of the best by any means, neither is the rest of the car! And it is most certainly not one of the worse, as is the rest of the car.

Honestly, that made me feel a lot better. One thing I am totally convinced of, if the top is being used it WILL have some funkies that is for sure. So my answer to my few wrinkles, put the top up and down often and then even if they were there from the beginning they will be justified.

But I saw some REAL funky tops like huge folded messes at the edge of the header. I was wondering how I was going to pull this off because there is so much material there, a LOT of cars had this huge chunk of material folded all under and it looked like CRAP. I know I will do better than that. Also, another thing that cracked me up was the amount of cars with the wire-on all crooked! It looked like a piece of rope thrown over the roof! Yeah, I am feeling a lot better about what I have done. I have thought how if I were to do another one next week how it would be soooo much better and easier. Then I come to my senses in that I will likely NEVER do another one.

Brian