Hot Rod Forum banner

Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.

33K views 174 replies 8 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
I see in the GM assembly manual these things called "fillers". Over at the Goodguys I was able to see down into this area on a car and it looked like there were some dense foam pads at this spot. Is that all these "Filler" amount to, sort of a pad where the tack ("trim") strip screws to the body?

Next, it shows this measurement for the rear bow. It's extremely clear, 17 and 5/8 inches from the inside of the rolled edge on the rear bow to the center of the next bow. This is perfectly clear, make a stick that goes here to hold it and done deal, put the rear curtain in. That's how I see it at least.

But then they give this very elaborate directions for making a stick that would go there and it's adjustable! Why the heck would it need to be adjustable if this measurement is so defined and clear?

Thanks, Brian

See less See more
#159 ·
Thanks so much guys for the info and push to cut that top at the bow and remove the wrinkles. It worked very well and actually pretty easy.

I then did the other side that was a little harder. I lifted the top up off the windshield to loosen it up and found that probably wasn't the way to go as I had to remove the staple I put in and move it a little and re-staple it. I then using a nice sharp razor cut away the excess and under lying material.

The wire-on will cover it easily and it is going well. I tightened up a few more wrinkles and it is looking VERY good.
Thanks again for all your help guys!

Brian

#160 ·
I am down to the wire here, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I couldn't have done this without you, one last thing (I think, but come on, there will probably be more) how do I fold this vinyl around the moulding at the ends?

I have this piece to experiment with and I have came up with this that produces the best result I could find but is there a better way?

Brian

#164 ·
I am down to the wire here, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I couldn't have done this without you, one last thing (I think, but come on, there will probably be more) how do I fold this vinyl around the moulding at the ends?

I have this piece to experiment with and I have came up with this that produces the best result I could find but is there a better way?

Yes, here's how it should be done: Don't trim out any of the fabric. The fabric should be sewed to the molding and then simply folded under.

Attachments

#161 ·
By the way, I did put a little silicone sealer across that rear bow where I cut the top and gathered it. I just couldn't leave it without.

I ran a piece of masking tape as a straight edge (saw a bunch of convertibles at the Goodguys with the wire-on all crooked!).

And wham, just like that the rear was done!

It was at that point I found myself literally "giddy" with excitement. :D Again, thank you so much!

Brian

#162 ·
Also, that loop of material that is glued to the roof at the second bow, it's tight over the top but very loose at the bottom, this is with the top up and clamped. Is this going to be anything I should change? My old top had that piece ripped off it when I bought the car so I hate to do the same the first time I put it down!

Brian

#166 ·
Hi Brian - Great job! That's looking like an excellent top installation! :)

I had to go out of town for a while so I haven't had much time to work on mine. Oh yeah and it has rained for 5 days straight, so I can't take it out to get some good pictures of it.

Anyhow, here are some older pictures (I made a little progress since then) from the garage. I took the photos from the worst possible angles to show you guys where I am really concerned about the top install. Without further delay:

The "good":

The "not-so-bad" (note the annoying line created by the cable pocket - it isn't the cable, it is the top edge of the pocket!!):

The "uh-oh":

The "ugly"... Please make suggestions on this one. It is pretty tight up front (I have to put some pressure on the top to get it to close). The sides are as tight as they really need to be. I don't know where to take out the slack. Also, just as a note, my top doesn't have the darts that Brian's does, so cutting and adjusting is not really an option. :(

I'll be putting up some more pics when the weather gets a little better. I am really amazed how good this thing looks from 10 feet away, but under the right (wrong) lighting, you can definitely still see some issues.

Just like Brian mentioned, I don't think I could have made it this far without you guys' help and ideas!

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

#167 ·
Thanks, I don't have any advice for you but I can say these wrinkles seem to be pretty much the norm with a lot of tops I looked at.

Dan, I am wondering if I don't have my side cables tight enough in regards to wrinkles like these?

Brian

#168 ·
When the weather gets better, put the top completely up and down a few times, and then let it sit outside in the sun. ( with the top completely up and latched.)

The only thing that would concern me is why that cable pocket looks like that.

#170 ·
Ok, I am thinking I did something wrong here, what the heck do I do with the zipper? I thought about this but dismissed it, now I am thinking these damn things will be whipping around in the wind if I drive with the top up and the windows down. What was I suppose to do with them?

Brian

#173 ·
Dan, and all those who tossed out ideas, I want to thank you all again. Thanks for helping me save money, I couldn't afford to buy this car today, it's way out of my budget. To be able to install the top made the finished car a reality as it probably would have never happened if it meant spending the kind of money it takes to have someone put a new top on it. I would have hacked over the top I had and it would have been pretty ugly.

I drove the car for the first time yesterday, I went to the gas station and then put the top down and drove it around town and it really was a great experience.

I can't thank you guys enough, I keep thinking about it every time I look at this top, without you Dan keeping this great forum going and helping me out I couldn't have done it, thanks so much!

Brian

#174 ·
In looking at this photo it looks like I need to adjust the top bows to stack lower on the left side. But I swear it did before I put the top on so I am thinking I just didn't let the rams pull it down tight being I was babying it quite a bit. It stacks lower than that guys. :D

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.