Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Ok, a few more stupid questions about this top.

I see in the GM assembly manual these things called "fillers". Over at the Goodguys I was able to see down into this area on a car and it looked like there were some dense foam pads at this spot. Is that all these "Filler" amount to, sort of a pad where the tack ("trim") strip screws to the body?



Next, it shows this measurement for the rear bow. It's extremely clear, 17 and 5/8 inches from the inside of the rolled edge on the rear bow to the center of the next bow. This is perfectly clear, make a stick that goes here to hold it and done deal, put the rear curtain in. That's how I see it at least.



But then they give this very elaborate directions for making a stick that would go there and it's adjustable! Why the heck would it need to be adjustable if this measurement is so defined and clear?



Thanks, Brian

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Oh yeah, another question. This one on the stapler. I went to the hardware store and found that they don't have any pneumatic staplers that use the staple like I found in the top when I tore it down. They were the normal 1/2" wide or so quarter inch deep staple. I forget the terminology but they were half as wide.

Can you literally hand staple these tops? I have a high quality hand stapler but haven't tried any tests, is there hope to just hand staple it?

How about stainless staples so they don't rust, is there such a thing?


Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:47 AM
geezer69's Avatar
Die standin' up
 

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: princeton texas
Age: 62
Posts: 411
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
i started out with an electric stapler and went to air. them hand staplers wont do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,826
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 144 Times in 131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Oh yeah, another question. This one on the stapler. I went to the hardware store and found that they don't have any pneumatic staplers that use the staple like I found in the top when I tore it down. They were the normal 1/2" wide or so quarter inch deep staple. I forget the terminology but they were half as wide.

Can you literally hand staple these tops? I have a high quality hand stapler but haven't tried any tests, is there hope to just hand staple it?

How about stainless staples so they don't rust, is there such a thing?


Brian
Yes, there are stainless steel staples available for most staplers. Hand stapling would be difficult, but not impossible, they used to put them on with tacks and a tack hammer. I generally use my BEA gun (the blue one on the right) with stainless staples for tops, but the Central Pneumatic 96359 shoots Arrow T-50 staples, and would work also. There are stainless staples for it also. You could also buy a DuoFast electric stapler that shoots T-50 staples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	66037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	66038  
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-13-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,826
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 144 Times in 131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I see in the GM assembly manual these things called "fillers". Over at the Goodguys I was able to see down into this area on a car and it looked like there were some dense foam pads at this spot. Is that all these "Filler" amount to, sort of a pad where the tack ("trim") strip screws to the body?



Next, it shows this measurement for the rear bow. It's extremely clear, 17 and 5/8 inches from the inside of the rolled edge on the rear bow to the center of the next bow. This is perfectly clear, make a stick that goes here to hold it and done deal, put the rear curtain in. That's how I see it at least.



But then they give this very elaborate directions for making a stick that would go there and it's adjustable! Why the heck would it need to be adjustable if this measurement is so defined and clear?



Thanks, Brian
I don't know what the fillers are for, none of the tops I've done had anything like that. That 17 5/8" measurement baffles me, unless that has something to do with the pads. The bow height is the important measurement. Get that right and you will be fine.
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Yes, there are stainless steel staples available for most staplers. Hand stapling would be difficult, but not impossible, they used to put them on with tacks and a tack hammer. I generally use my BEA gun (the blue one on the right) with stainless staples for tops, but the Central Pneumatic 96359 shoots Arrow T-50 staples, and would work also. There are stainless staples for it also. You could also buy a DuoFast electric stapler that shoots T-50 staples.
Where did you get the stainless staples?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I don't know what the fillers are for, none of the tops I've done had anything like that. That 17 5/8" measurement baffles me, unless that has something to do with the pads. The bow height is the important measurement. Get that right and you will be fine.
I'm thinking the fillers are a little pad of some sort that get lost after the first top is replaced. On the measurement stick, how in the heck do you set the bow height? This measurement stick is all I have found to measure where that rear bow goes. But now that I think about it, it is measuring it to the top it's self. With the adjustments I have done to the top at the windows (along with the windows) THAT has changed the location of that rear bow to the body. So if that rear bow height is so critical, how the heck do I set it?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
This sort of explains it, if you didn't get the measurements from the old top, then you use this 17 5/8" distance. But again, this is the rear bow to the next bow not the bow "height". Where do you measure the bow "height" from the rear body edge?



This is the step 16 mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,049
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 945
Thanked 732 Times in 587 Posts
Brian, I bought a rebuilt used stapler from an auto trim supply house in Koxville, Tn for about $100 years ago. I have used it for all kinds of things. You will not regret buying a good stapler. If you want the name send me a PM.

John L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Madison, S.D.
Posts: 129
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
top

The little pads have a couple of purposes. They go on metal first over the holes in the body. They can be thick tape, rubber, or a clump of body sealer. They are to seal bolts so they don't leak into trunk and I think they space top out a bit so water doesn't sit there and can drain down to drain tube. As for stainless staples, I don't use them. They are out of the weather and usually last as long as the top. You should get 1/4 and 3/8 staples, gonna need some longer ones in some areas. As for that measuring stick, that is when you put the pads on after you set rear bow height. Harbor freight has a stapler. I bought one to use in shop for general use and seems to work fine. What is this car? I can look up rear bow setting for you. As for an adjustable stick, I'm guessing that is so you can use it for different tops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Madison, S.D.
Posts: 129
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
tops

Just another thought. Have you had body off frame, or had top mechanism out of body? Do your doors and windows line up good? Are body mounts good? Now is the time to check all this stuff. Put top in closed position and make sure weather seals fit all windows etc. If not adjust your mechanisms to fit. More fun stuff to think about. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
It's a 1965 Buick Skylark and yes the top was restored and it has been all lined up with the windows and rubbers (PITA!).

What you are saying all makes sense, thanks. On the "fillers" some rubber washers sound like a deal.

On the measurement being after the bow height has been set doesn't make any sense to me. The only think you could change with that measurement IS the rear bow height, or am I missing something? How do you "set" the rear bow height? If you held it there some how (being it falls freely) at a certain height, setting that 17 5/8" distance would require you to change that bows height, would it not?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,826
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 144 Times in 131 Posts
The bow height is from the center of the edge of the chrome trim around the body opening for the top to the center of the rear bow. In your case it's 20 1/2". Yes, it falls backward to open the top, but the key is making the rear bow stay at that length when the top is up, not going down. You set it at the correct height with the top's frame completely up and latched. The pads are stapled to the rear bow as well, and they will hold it at that measurement. The opening in the top is centered on the rear bow, and then the wire on is put over the seam.

T-50 staples, plain or stainless are available at most home centers. I got those at Home Depot.
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
This is so odd that everywhere I have heard about this "bow height" yet in the GM manual they had a plan to confuse me as the bow height is measured from the other way!

Right off the bat I am befuddled as to what an inch one way or the other on this bow is going to do? The GM manual talks about it like it's a frigging piston ring gap or something. If that bow is up or down an inch what the hell would it matter? I could see with a fixed height window, or a glass window. But isn't the height of the window what the whole thing should be based on? What if the repro window isn't perfect, what if the repro top isn't perfect? I am lost on this whole thing being so critical when there is no mention of the top or rear window when this height is discussed.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
The bow height is from the center of the edge of the chrome trim around the body opening for the top to the center of the rear bow. In your case it's 20 1/2". Yes, it falls backward to open the top, but the key is making the rear bow stay at that length when the top is up, not going down. You set it at the correct height with the top's frame completely up and latched. The pads are stapled to the rear bow as well, and they will hold it at that measurement. The opening in the top is centered on the rear bow, and then the wire on is put over the seam.

T-50 staples, plain or stainless are available at most home centers. I got those at Home Depot.
I am dying to get home tonight and measure the bow height, thanks so much for putting up with me.

Now, what in the heck is the "wire" you mention?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Probably most stupid question from possible questions Nightrider Off-Topic 7 02-15-2009 10:26 AM
A few stupid questions... LeadfootBob Hotrodding Basics 2 03-12-2007 11:17 AM
2 Real Stupid Questions..... 66 T-Bird Engine 7 06-10-2005 10:49 AM
Top chop/vinyl top questions tundrafiend01 Body - Exterior 2 01-19-2004 06:51 PM
Stupid Paint questions Mrfixmaster Body - Exterior 5 01-13-2003 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.