ok here is a Q for ya - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 07:35 AM
noobie

Last journal entry: Boy am I slow!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok here is a Q for ya

Can anyone describe the performance and streetability of a T bucket with a 4 cylinder motor , with either a auto or std? I am toying with the idea of a "twin" buildup 1 with a V8 (for me) and one with a 4 cyl for the boys first car / rod. I am not intending on building show cars these will be "50's "Rats" something to put some miles on. Thanks for all the sensible input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Obviously wouldn't have the power of a V8 but with the weight of a T bucket a 4 would get around fine. A good candidate engine would be the 2.3L 4 cylinder out of the Ranger pickup, could use the tranny either auto or standard as well, and there are plenty of hop up parts available for the 2.3L as well.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:59 AM
noobie

Last journal entry: Boy am I slow!
Last photo:

WOW fast thanks! Actually I was thinking about a Flatty 4 since I have one. I think I would be really kewl! I am thinking shorten wheel base (100" +-) a bit really short bed like 8" on the samllest tub I an find. 3speed std. Again Thanks to all!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

I can tell you that the 4cyd. in my jeep gets me around just fine. The jeep is very light and should be around that of the T bucket.
I think with the 4cyd gearing will be very important. The jeep has a close 1 to 2nd and from there on it spreads out. It is enough to really get you moving and then keep going on the highway. Mine is a 5spd however.

What ever engine you choose just find what it is rated for and it should give you an idea of what it will do in the T. Sounds like a fun project!

Chris
Old 06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey the original T's only had a 4 cyl, and they got around just fine

Mike
Old 06-19-2005, 10:20 PM

4cyl or V8 or L6 are great in a T bucket BUT....

Don't fool yourself that a small engine means a safer car in the hands of an inexperienced teenage driver. That 4banger or six can romp right up there with the V8s at the top end and make a good showing down low with a narrower tire set on the rear.
Here are my simple criteria for a kid's hot rod (tbucket, Model A, 57 Chevy, whatever early car you/he/she like):
1. Stock engine...what I mean here is go ahead and dress it up with the shiney but keep the performance specs near stock levels. That's plenty of power in a light early car to make most anybody happy.
2. Automatic transmission....a kid has enough trouble concentrating on the driving concept at all let alone having to worry about shifting and clutching and so on. Keep it simple.
3. Seat Belts...no matter what you put together be sure to have a simple set of seat belts mounted properly for each potential passenger. That means two sets in a Tbucket and six in a 57 Chevy! Ingrain seatbelt use into your family's routine so there is never a question ot "When" only a habit of "DO"!
4. These have been my RULES FOR THE CAR....You wreck it, you're walking. You break it, you're walking, You bend it, you're walking. You scratch it, you're walking. You drink and drive, you're on your own, no more car, yours, mine or moms,ever. These have worked well for over 4 years since my son started driving his 57 Chevy BelAir 2-door post sedan 327, Turbo 350, disc brake front, no power, no A/C, in 10th grade.
5. No big bang stereo, no cell phone, no back seat passengers until 18th birthday.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod; 06-19-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Fours forever

Certainly a 4 woudl be very nice in a lite T-bucket and I think would give a very good performance..the "iron duke" used in S-10's might be a good choice as well..Certanly woudl savea bunch of bucks I think..the stock S-10 trans is just fine..and the rear may be "just right"

Of course the Ford 2.3 has a good selection of pieces and is supported with speed parts as well..

4 in a T is a good way to go I think..

OMT
Old 06-24-2005, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

I know some guys with manuals in their T's and they have all regretted it! There is not alot of room and it makes it hard to drive a manual. The clutch would have to be on the left of the steering column and that is a really cramped area to begin with. Also a manual complicates the build alot with the clutch linkage! I would suggest going auto. I have a short 22 with an auto and I am building an all steel 1916 and it will be an auto also.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.