Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 08:29 AM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
?? Well that was off subject 406. I have never once stated in this entire thread that the 383 was better than the 400. I also never said the 383 crank was better, all I am doing is defending the wives tales about the 383, just like you are doing for the 400 . My point, if you read, is that the 383 crank, even if it was once a 400 crank, is not weaker than a 400 crank just because the journals are smaller. If you don't understand that, talk to a machinist, because I've explained it as best I can and I know its true. As far as displacement is concerned, I doubt seriously that the 17 cubes really makes all the difference in the world either. I'm sure it makes some, but you'll make more difference with proper tuning and good parts than 17 cubes will promise you.

So yes, 406, it is a good one, and a true one. Read the posts and get your facts.

K

killerformula , chevy debated on using a 350 block & a 4" stroke, but instead went with the 4.125 bore & 3.75 stroke. the reason being siamese bores are stronger, just look at a few of the after market blocks. they also went with a bigger main for more strength over the 350 main size. the 400 put out over 400 pounds of torque bone stock. that was another reason they made the jump to a large journal over the small journal 327 blocks, they just took it one step further in the 400. now all you have to do is pick up a copy of "how to hotrod small block chevy" & it tells what all went into their design & why. i never said a 406 was better than a 383, but i will now (at least as far as horse power & torque goes). if you build a 383 & a 406 using the same parts & have them both tuned in right, the 406 will make more power & torque than the 383. no brag, just facts.