Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce
[QUOTE
How many really built a 400 motor and have it in their ride, and not heard it from someone else?
The ones I know, no need to reply.

I have NOT posted on this............it is all kind of silly....

Build what you want and just OUTRUN the rest.......

I have build 383's and 400's and had them in my ride.
I also built a 434.........Little M block and a Eagle crank

I prefer a 350 in my 32 Roadster.......
I know that the larger engines make more torque and Horsepower....but in a light car like my 32 (2240 lbs)........the 350 is quicker. It revs higher, faster and is easier to HOOK UP. The 350 lacks the low end of the 3.75 and 4 inch stroke engines and LEAVES better.........then revs quicker and higher once I get it HOOKED.......

[/B][/QUOTE]

I built a 400. I can say from real life testing that it does not have any cooling issues. In fact, I think the old 307 I had before had more cooling issues.

I do however recommend a higher pressure oil pump. That myth I believe is true. The 400s will have slightly lower oil pressure.

As far as streetability and performance, the 400 is superior. If anyone heard my car idle, and then went for a ride and saw for themselves how effortlessly my 400 moves the sheetmetal, they would be convinced as well.

As far as leaving better, what kind of arguement is lack of low end torque! If you tune your suspension right, run the appropriate tire and rim, and have then proper traction aids, that is when you can say your car leaves harder. Based on the lack of bottom end arguement you might as well run a Chevy 6 or 4 cylinder, right? 2 hole spacers, ignition and carb tuning can help if you don't want to mess with the correct ways of tuning your launches.